Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling bib shorts (Endura, Assos or Castelli)

I would like to buy bib shorts and I was shortlisted for three models as follows:
1. Endura Pro SL II
2. Assos T.equipe EVO
3. Castelli Endurance II
If anyone uses any of the above I would ask to share your experience and opinion. I am especially interested in the comfort of the seat pad because I drive long rides, 4h +.
Any impressions on fit, comfort, longevity etc. would be appreciated.
You could also help with the choice of size, you can write your own, of course for the bib shorts you wear. I am 183 cm tall and waist 102 cm. I am currently wearing bib shorts from Santini size XXL and Scott size XL.

Thanks’!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Freddy56 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I think the overall market quality of shorts has come on in the last 5 years. I use Rapha Pro team (bought when they are on sale) and Galibier's Equipe shorts for any longer days in the saddle as they are superb fit.

I used to be an Assos everything rider, but they just arn't as durable as they once were.

Cargobike | 3 years ago
1 like

Had a pair of Endura Pro SL 2 bibshorts arrived last week from Chain Reaction Cycles. Only ridden in them 3 times but they are a definite upgrade on my typical cycling shorts that are the clickfast boxers underneath my 3/4 humvees. Extremely comfortable pad that is breaking in quickly and contouring to my bodyshape. I'm 196cm tall and 260 odd lbs in weight and fit, at a squeeze into the XXL. I've used Endura for years, their sizing is definitely more generous than their European counterparts. CRC have 2019 bibshorts in XXL only for £71.99 with a narrow pad. I really should be a medium, but the difference is 5mm either side which seems negligible to me.

Castelli are never long enough on the shoulder straps for me and Assos more money than I'd be prepared to pay.

The Endura get a big thumbs up from me.

Laingy2020 | 3 years ago
1 like

Bib shorts seem a problem for all, as mentioned previously it's a personal thing.

I've tried castellis new endurance shorts and found them uncomfortable at the front, tried le col last week and the length is too long, rapha didnt fit me well either. assos will be my next gamble whilst still using my old pro vision bibs.

Dermot72 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hev Endura Pro SL shorst and Assos Equipe S7. Both excellent - PRO SL shorts - the sstraps a bit tight but otherwise very close to assoss. Assoss edge it as you almost forget your wearing them they are that comfy. Both excellent though. PRO SL come in a longer version which I prefer. Have the 7mesh MK3 which are on a par with the Assoss ifslightly more compressive but I prefer the look of the Assos. All three are brilliant shorts.

0-0 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Sorry for butting in (pun intended). But I've a question.
I'm new to the world of bib shorts, having just bought my first pair of DHB Aeron bib shorts.
If I bought a pair of Assos T.mille_S7 Bib Shorts*, how would the padding differ from the Aeron's?
Would the padding of the Assos be more forward and aimed at racing, compared to the Aeron's, which I'm guessing is aimed at people who sit more upright (for leisure riding)?
Basically, I'd like more padding for my sit bones, if the Assos offers that feature.

* £30 price difference at one of the sites mentioned (above/below) between the Assos and Aeron.

Thank you.

nniff | 3 years ago
1 like

Assos have got £20 off if you fill in their questionnaire.  It only takes a few minutes but does contain some of the most surreal questions that I have ever been asked.  I'm not even going to try to explain, because it would make me look like a maniac.

Anyway - Assos for me - just bought a new pair to replace some perfectly good Castelli ones, because I simply am not that shape (whatever that is - hunch back midget with fat knees and no waist, I think).  6 feet tall, 11st 7 lb, 32 waist and Assos medium fits me perfectly.  Parts of me are Castelli XL, but other parts are not

brokenorange | 3 years ago
1 like

As a number of people have said it all depends on your own body shape. I have endura pro sl and for me are the most comfortable. Didn't get on with castelli pad at all. The other pad/shorts I love are Isadore, they have a much thinner pad but are oh so good. Buy and try, there are no shortcuts unfortunately.

JohnnyEnglish replied to brokenorange | 3 years ago
1 like

brokenorange wrote:

there are no shortcuts unfortunately.

I see what you did there.

Stratman | 3 years ago
1 like

I discovered Castelli before my first long ride, half price Body Paints.  They had the ProgettoX2 pad.  Since then I've stuck with Castelli, I've had Mondiale, Omloop and several Sorpasso's so I've a Castelli for all seasons.  I've not matched alotronic's exploits (read his blog if you haven't - bike by bike) but I have done 200k and 300k in them with no discomfort.  I usually buy for stock when they're reduced, and I'm also looking at the Endurance.

eldarp | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the answers. I have nowhere to try the listed bib shorts and I have to order them online so I am somehow guided by logic and gather information from cyclists to determine the right size. Of course, quality and comfort are important to me, and I know that all three brands are very high quality and that there is no mistake in buying any. But here through this conversation I learned that the Assos insole is not sewn (fixed) to the bib shorts and that it moves. That may suit someone, but it certainly wouldn't suit me.

hmjb | 3 years ago
1 like

As with other replies - very personal. I've had Enduras, which were nice, but the Raphas were waaay nicer.

Then I discovered Assos - the oddly named kuku penthouse was a game changer for me. Happy to spend 6-7 hours in them when used with the Assos chamois cream. Bought my first set of winter bibs this year, and went down the Assos/kuku penthouse route again. You can find discounted Assos at Bikezaar, SwissIconic - got my winter bibs (brand new!) off ebay for less than half price.

Rod Marton | 3 years ago
1 like

I find the Endura shorts excellent, but I've come to the conclusion that this is more because I am Endura-shaped than that the shorts are intrinsically better than any others. But I'm a bit smaller than you and it is quite possible that what is right for me is not for you. However once you go above a certain threshold shorts are pretty reasonable, it's just a case of finding the one that best suits you.

sparrowlegs | 3 years ago
1 like

I'd also take a look at La Passione. Especially the Minimal shorts. I've got/had all kinds of bib shorts. From Rapha, Castelli, Assos, Ashmei etc and the La Passione ones have been far better than any of them for a lot less money. The new prestige bib shorts are supposed to be really good but I can't see anything being better than the Minimal ones. The compression is bang on and you really do forget you're wearing them. The pad is excellent too. Just awaiting the arrival of my 2nd set. 

If it's only from the brands you've listed then Assos wins for me. Mind you mine are a few years old so I can't comment on the newer Assos kit. 

Achtervolger | 3 years ago
1 like

I've settled on Castelli shorts as my favourites. They fit me very well (though I'm a different build to Eldarp - I'm c. 175cm tall and 75cm waist - and take mediums). I've always found them to be very comfortable, whether for cyclocross racing or long road rides, 4 hours+.  They always last really well too. I've had a number of different pairs over the years, from the Omloop winter thermal ones to very thin summer ones, and all have been brilliant. I'd agree with alotronic though that it's a very personal thing - I've tried different brands over the years but Castelli just work best for me. I had a decathlon pair once that seemed fine in the fitting room but didn't work at all for me when I was actually cycling.

kevvjj | 3 years ago
1 like

I have the Endura shorts. Can ride in them all day. I wear a large becuase my thighs are bigger than average otherwise with my 86cm waist I would wear a medium. Great shorts. All the brands you mention make quality gear and you won't go wrong with any of them.

alotronic | 3 years ago
6 likes

Shorts are very personal. I can ride 600km in shorts from Decathlon. Some people need Assos to go twenty miles.

Given that I would start at the cheapest and work your way up  1 Hard to go wrong with any of those brands though really.

Pilot Pete replied to alotronic | 3 years ago
0 likes

Exactly this. I've been through many pairs of expensive shorts and I'm yet to find the perfect one. I do long rides mainly (100miles +) so a good short is important. Last pair were Le Col but the pad is wrongly positioned for me - my sitbones rest on the edge of the pad where the seams are! Hopeless.

I used to wear Assos, but although pretty comfortable I found the pads a bit too thick and the premium materials wear out quickly. All faded to grey in the sunlight and the back panels went thin and see through! I'm not the only one this happened too, I know loads of people who show off their arse crack in Assos! Only ever used proper sports wash as well. Not had any for a few years now because of that and the fact that they have moved the bib straps to the sides - I prefer them on the front.

Got a pair of Cafe du Cycliste last summer which seem pretty comfortable, just a little tight around the nads...

The search continues...

PP

Latest Comments