Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

cycling on the NHS

So GPs will prescribe cycling and walking in a bid to reduce the burden on the NHS. That'll have some gammons gasping, red faced, with indignation. 

GPs to prescribe walking and cycling in bid to ease burden on NHS | NHS | The Guardian

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Owd Big 'Ead | 1 year ago
0 likes

Nice idea which will fall flat on it's face in reality.

As a nation we've become used to being given medication by the barrel-load to fix our ailments whether they are needed or not. There's a built-in expectation to be given pills. Exercise won't cut it for the vast majority.

David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

"That'll have some gammons gasping, red faced, with indignation." - I hope 'GPs - behind closed doors' are filming.

"yes, Mr Redman, I can give you something for that..."

mattw | 1 year ago
0 likes

I thought that this type of scheme was already an established thing. Certainly as a part--owner of a gym we looked at NHS treatment links some years ago.
eg from 2020 - https://www.ukactive.com/news/fitness-and-leisure-sector-to-offer-free-s...

"Physical activity is set to play a greater role in helping people look after their health and wellbeing following the announcement of a partnership between ukactive, NHS England and Improvement (NHSE/I), Sport England and the National Academy for Social Prescribing to highlight the role of fitness within social prescribing.

A new scheme aims to support people to better manage their health and wellbeing by connecting up social prescribing and fitness and leisure activities in local communities.

ukactive, NHSE/I, Sport England and the National Academy for Social Prescribing will work together to identify an initial pledge of 500,000 hours of activity in the first year of the scheme, and make this available for no cost via the social prescribing services being rolled out across England.

People will need to be referred by a Social Prescribing Link Worker in order to access the scheme and it is expected that up to 100,000 people could benefit from the free gym and leisure sessions."

chrisonabike | 1 year ago
2 likes

They'll be prescribing gym memberships next!

hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/aug/22/gps-to-prescribe-walking-and-cycling-in-bid-to-ease-burden-on-nhs

Quote:

The latest trial will focus specifically on boosting active travel and will take place in 11 local authority areas in England, including Cornwall, Bradford, and Leeds, with free bike loans, all-ability cycling taster days, and walking and cycling mental health groups among the pilot projects to be supported by the funding.

The Department for Transport said that alongside the trials, which are part of the government’s Gear Change plan published in 2020 to boost walking and cycling, infrastructure so people feel safe when undertaking such activities.

Latest Comments