Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Daily Flail toxicity OMG!

I give up. Have a look through some of the comments for this piece of clickbait:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10229533/Abusive-cyclists-plagu...

Or rather don't, if you want to maintain any optimisim in the world...

Honesty, I pity the UK population if this is what we have come to. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

39 comments

BBB | 2 years ago
6 likes

Hit them where it hurts.

https://stopfundinghate.info/

Steve K | 2 years ago
4 likes

They'll all be off to Peppa Pig World now, so it'll be ok.

Hirsute replied to Steve K | 2 years ago
2 likes

vroom, vroom !

Pyro Tim | 2 years ago
10 likes

I have been guilty of calling out Findas at the horses, much like I call out mint sauce to errant sheep, and horse raddish to cows. Horses in the New Forest aren't bothered by cyclists. The twats in SUVs and other cars are though. At pinch points, if you are half way through, they will drive at you at over 40 and do not slow down, you have to dive off to avoid being hit. Most of the speeding motorists in the Forest are locals. It should be lovely riding in the New Forest, but it simply isn't because of the entitled motorists, some of who are probably the same people doing the round up. Don't get me started on the illegal parking during the peak season

IanMSpencer replied to Pyro Tim | 2 years ago
0 likes

Again referencing the GridIron, one of the treats were the horses, cows sheep and pigs who think that roads are perfectly acceptable places to sleep, graze, exercise the gene pool or discuss the latest goings on between Peppa and George.

This comes as a great advantage when the 4x4 behind that has been harassing you for the previous 400 yards comes to a grinding halt while you pass by the noses of the dozy beasts who care not one jot and can't differentiate between a tourist and a local.

I'd not risk the other end though.

wycombewheeler replied to IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
1 like

IanMSpencer wrote:

Again referencing the GridIron, one of the treats were the horses, cows sheep and pigs who think that roads are perfectly acceptable places to sleep, graze, .

Tarmac eating livestock, pretty hardcore

hawkinspeter replied to wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
1 like

wycombewheeler wrote:

IanMSpencer wrote:

Again referencing the GridIron, one of the treats were the horses, cows sheep and pigs who think that roads are perfectly acceptable places to sleep, graze, .

They'd have to eat a lot of tarmac to get through to the hardcore

wycombewheeler replied to wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
1 like

wycombewheeler wrote:

IanMSpencer wrote:

man y hands or (hooves or mouths) make light work

IanMSpencer replied to wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
0 likes

Seriously, they graze the tarmac. It probably explains why they all look so miserable. There's obviously more nutrition in that stuff that sprays in our faces than we realise.

peted76 | 2 years ago
3 likes

That whole article is a massive pile of horseshit. 

I'm pretty sure there isn't one pony in that whole forest which would be spooked by a cyclist. 

Also if we were feeling really naughty.. mobile phone number here from the Head Moaner are online https://www.newforestpony.com/the-new-forest/the-agisters/ wouldn't it be awful if that ended up on a few call center's lists.

Rendel Harris replied to peted76 | 2 years ago
5 likes

peted76 wrote:

I'm pretty sure there isn't one pony in that whole forest which would be spooked by a cyclist. 

Can't speak for every pony but we had a wonderful week's touring round there a few years back and they had no fear at all, wandering across the road, stopping in the road for a look at these strange two-wheeled creatures, coming up to see if there was anything worth eating in the panniers...the only thing I ever saw spook them was car drivers revving their engines and sounding their horns to try and make them move off the road.

wycombewheeler replied to peted76 | 2 years ago
4 likes

yep, horses and ponies loose on the new forest and dartmoor, couldn't care less about cars and bikes.

Meanwhile the horses which the horsists choose to ride on the roads can react in extreme and unpredictable ways. Do they not spend enough time on the roads, or do they breed them/train them to be more skittish?

chrisonabike replied to wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
8 likes

wycombewheeler wrote:

Meanwhile the horses which the horsists choose to ride on the roads can react in extreme and unpredictable ways. Do they not spend enough time on the roads, or do they breed them/train them to be more skittish?

Fundamentally horses are nervous creatures not evolved for carrying other species on their backs.

hawkinspeter replied to chrisonabike | 2 years ago
1 like

chrisonatrike wrote:

Fundamentally horses are nervous creatures not evolved for carrying other species on their backs.

That explains the long face, then

wtjs replied to peted76 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I'm pretty sure there isn't one pony in that whole forest which would be spooked by a cyclist

I'm certainly not about to read the hyper-junk press article, and I agree with your sentiment, but I'm not sure about the facts. I don't know about horses in the New Forest, but I do know about sheep in enclosed fields in North Lancashire. I almost invariably say 'Hello, sheep' to sheep (it's all this solo cycling!) so they ought to be used to one cyclist at least- however I was following a sedately driven vehicle the other day and the sheep in the field ignored it but as soon as I appeared from behind a dense hedge they all stampeded across the field away from me.

peted76 replied to wtjs | 2 years ago
2 likes

The 'ponies' in the new forest which this article refers to (as horses) are 'a bit different' to usual ponies, horses, sheep, cattle etc.. they are left to wander the forest and villages within the forest with impunity, they are used to dealing with  people, cars, cyclists and honestly don't get spooked easily. The article seems like a biased twisted take on reality and does nothing but stir up discontent towards cyclists. 

The new forest generally, whilst being one of my favourite places in the UK to ride a bike is also one of the worst places to ride, I guess becuase so many people want to around there for leisure and the whole area is seasonal that the locals view cyclists simply as a nuicance. It also does not help that the roads can be narrow and aren't very well kept by the local authorities.

IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
5 likes

When we did the GridIron this year, there was a certain satisfaction in seeing the faces of the drivers as it dawned on them that we were able to squeeze past the queue of literally at least 35 classic Land Rovers going for a little jaunt in the opposite direction, nose to tail on a barely single track road.

At least they were single file.

The elephant in the room is I'd guess they weren't even on a journey.

markieteeee | 2 years ago
16 likes

Every click to their site helps fund them.  You might be curious to view hate or want to counter their perspective but it's better to avoid funding it.  It makes no odds to them whether you agree with their nonsense or not, a click is a click.  

joe9090 replied to markieteeee | 2 years ago
4 likes

Agreed and you are right, but sometimes you have to watch the train crash, sometimes you need to look into the chasm of doom, the lost ark of the vile.

Simon E replied to joe9090 | 2 years ago
7 likes

joe9090 wrote:

Agreed and you are right, but sometimes you have to watch the train crash, sometimes you need to look into the chasm of doom, the lost ark of the vile.

No, you don't.

You are supporting the site and inadvertently encouraging them to post it.

I knew the Mail was a sewer of hate years ago. I have no desire to inflict that shit on myself.

Mungecrundle | 2 years ago
10 likes

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/19104763.amp/

Every forest user needs to respect the wildlife and the environment. Dogs under control, take your rubbish home, drive courteously and cycle responsibly. But let's not forget where the priorities should lie.

Sriracha replied to Mungecrundle | 2 years ago
10 likes

That picture says it all - when the horror of what it shows becomes apparent. So what I can't fathom - they are bigging up the welfare of the ponies here, and yet all the bile is directed at people spooking a few ponies on a few days in the year, whilst those who horrifically maim and kill them in droves year round, they get a free pass?

mdavidford replied to Sriracha | 2 years ago
2 likes

Sriracha wrote:

kill them in droves year round

I thought it was the droves that were only a few days in the year?

chrisonabike replied to Sriracha | 2 years ago
2 likes

Sriracha wrote:

That picture says it all - when the horror of what it shows becomes apparent. So what I can't fathom - they are bigging up the welfare of the ponies here, and yet all the bile is directed at people spooking a few ponies on a few days in the year, whilst those who horrifically maim and kill them in droves year round, they get a free pass?

Could these be the countryside version of the people who're so horrified on behalf of the old / disabled / poor that they'll even risk damage their own vehicles shoving LTN planters / bollards out of the way?

Yes, I think it's in the same bracket as that "selective concern". Not interested in the problems they cause, huge outcry if there's any change to the routines. They're local you see, all you others, you're not.

OldRidgeback replied to Mungecrundle | 2 years ago
0 likes

That's a shocking photo and it says it all. The speed limit for vehicles in the New Forest is clearly too high at 40mph.

Rendel Harris replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
2 likes

Garage at Large wrote:

How long before one of these disgraceful men (and they are always men I'm afraid) takes a motor car to the New Forest with the intention of causing mayhem (where they already kill 90+ large mammals, including horses, per year, against cyclists', um, none)? Instead of publicising these things we should be campaigning for them to be removed from the market.

FTFY. Your new fixation on horns is highly amusing, it's your Peppa Pig - know you can't win a reasonable argument so send up a distraction.

Eton Rifle replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
5 likes
Garage at Large wrote:

More proof as I've said all along that abusive, self-entitled cyclists endanger every other cyclist in the country.

Instead of enabling this behaviour and putting these idiots up on a pedestal, it's time to start calling them out publicly, as I do.

How long before one of these disgraceful men (and they are always men I'm afraid) takes a 140db horn to the New Forest with the intention of causing mayhem? Instead of publicising these things we should be campaigning for them to be removed from the market.

Oh do fuck off with your made-up bullshit. You really are the most tedious troll on this site.

Awavey | 2 years ago
2 likes

thing is the DM are just repeating the story the Telegraph had on Saturday https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/11/20/new-forest-rangers-bridle-ab...

Oldfatgit | 2 years ago
4 likes

I hope rejected the cookies from there ... Some of those 3rd party cookies have a life of over 2000 days.
2000 days of some shitty company that you have never heard of tracking your internet interest to build a profile of you ...
Bollocks to that.

Captain Badger | 2 years ago
3 likes

Apparently I'm the spawn of the Devil.

Meh, have been called worse....

Pages

Latest Comments