Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Darkside adventures

Blimey, MTB is complicated, isn't it?

Boost, Plus, XD, Microspline, DUB, chainring offsets, sag, rebound, travel, droppers, flats, XC, Downhill, Enduro, Trail, slack, riser bars.

Steep learning curve, and that's before I get to converting tyres measured in inches to mm and actually working out how to ride up hills without popping wheelies...

Hugely enjoyable though.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Mungecrundle | 3 years ago
1 like

My 2004 GT Avalanche. Owned from new. The wheels, frame, seatpost and brake cylinders are original. My go to bike for commuting, shopping and weekend club rides when the roads are damp.

I used to do a lot more XC but I have lousy offroad technical skills. I'm faster going uphill than down on anything that might require more than a weedy bunny hop and that really is not bragging about my climbing abilities.

Hardtail MTB if I was forced to choose just 1 bike. Can pretty much tackle anything.

ktache replied to Mungecrundle | 3 years ago
0 likes

How are you finding the Jones's?

Mungecrundle replied to ktache | 3 years ago
1 like

Put them on earlier this year as an experiment. Just the basic ones, nothing fancy. Necessitated replacing the brake lines as the new angled back position made the hoses just exactly too short.

I like them. The hand position is very natural, the extra width gives more control, loads of bar space for gadgets, not that I use many apart from the fly 12. More of an open sit up position. I'll be keeping them on.

IanEdward | 3 years ago
0 likes

I think MTB can be as complicated as you want to make it.

I'm still using a Trek Superfly from 2017. Fast, light 29er with 100mm travel forks and (now) a 1x drivetrain. 

Have raced XC on it, done long gravel rides on it and messed about at local trail centres (Beecraigs, Comrie Croft).

I've used it for two seasons CX racing as well with narrower chopped down bars and some dedicated CX tyres.

I think a lot of the new trends and fads (tubeless, droppers, massive bars) all offer something to the experience (fun, no harm in that) but none are strictly necessary and are 'addicitive' e.g. once you go there you won't go back! I'd rather not know what I was missing and keep my bike simple, cheap and light... Same as my road bike actually!

Achtervolger | 3 years ago
0 likes

Absolutely. I started out as a teenager mountain biking (over twenty years ago). Got into road cycling when I moved up to Sheffield about ten years ago. Then got back into mountain biking and did quite a lot in the Peak District. I really enjoyed it, and the odd times I went to trail centres I really loved them too. But the 'winch and plummet' nature of Peak District mountain biking just got too much in the end, and I ended up not really enjoying the uphills. I never really took the time to work on my skills, so the downhills too ended up often being exercises in hanging on for dear life, with my hands and forearms really painful afterwards. Also did some when I lived in the Lakes but that was even, though worth if dor the epic nature of the rides. I wasn't really doing much when I came back to Sheffield, then my mtb got nicked anyway. I mainly ride road now, and I've found that cyclocross racing, and just riding my 'cross bike off-road ('gravel riding'!) satisfies me now when I fancy some time away from the cars.

mtb_roadtripper | 3 years ago
1 like

I've been more MTB for most of my cycling life until very recently...I may just be 60% roadie now. 

It is very complicated to be honest. I dont know what half the shit means and jeezo there are way more bits that need maintained.  

So far i've never had the same laughing like a looney, jumping up and down celebrating by myself in a forest at how awesome a trail was kinda high that you get from MTB on a road bike. Closest I guess is getting a KOM you really wanted BUT the more subtle achievement of smashing out a huuuuuge road ride over a whole day is also something you dont often get from riding Enduro type rides. 

Good thing I dont have to decide between the two! 

kil0ran replied to mtb_roadtripper | 3 years ago
1 like

I like that in general the fun I have on a MTB (and any risk of injury) is entirely down to my own skill level and bravery/foolhardiness. Also a more intense workout than a road ride. Will improve my road driving no end once I get my confidence back to head out into traffic again

IanEdward replied to mtb_roadtripper | 3 years ago
0 likes

Actually I think the biggest 'high' I've ever had on a bike was a slow, grinding road climb out of Inverness in the misty drizzle, but with the Black Keys (Magic Potion I think) in my headphones*.

It was some combination of the euphoria from a big riff or wailing vocal combined with the endorphins of maintaining just the right pace and just generally feeling good on the bike. I actually wanted to just shout out loud for the sheer joy of it. 

I still get about 1/10th of the same rush on the turbo trainer, especially when the right bit of the right tune (usually 'Sunshine Underground' by the Chemical Brothers) co-incides with the right bit of the workout (e.g. starting to flag with 5 minutes still to go). Instant fresh legs!

*I don't ride with headphones any more, so spare me the lectures! 

ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

And unfortuantely todays standard will not be THE standard in a little bit.

When I chose 27.5x3 it was already becoming a redundant format.

kil0ran replied to ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

Oh and seatposts. Anything from 27.2 to 34.9. and shallow seat angles that put too much weight over the rear wheel

Latest Comments