Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Di2 gears not displaying

Any bright Di2 souls out there?

Di2 only displays Gear Combo 0-0 on Garmin Headset. 

So far:

Tried a different Garmin but displays the same 0-0

Swapped out Di2 dongle from my other bike and dongle works on the other bike showing gears on the other bike correctly,  so have excluded the dongle as the cause (?)

All gear changes work fine so have (?) excluded the wires from the dongle/junction box to front and rear mech and to hoods. 

I'm left with it being the short connecting wire from the dongle to junction box, or the triple junction box.
Does that sound about right to you? Any other ideas?

Short wire would be the cheaper of the options to buy but still £22   :0  Unnecessarily changing lots of Di2 parts would be ££ even if I could get hold of them currently.

[  Before you ask why I'm chasing this, Its Di2 on a Tandem, 50:34 , 11:42 so we're running a necessarily too short a chain for this range. I need to know what gear we're in so as not to break the rear mech by accidentally getting even close to crosschaining. (again anyway, that was an expensive error a couple of years ago) ]

Grateful for hive wisdom. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

matt_cycles | 2 years ago
0 likes

Only thing I could add I've not see you or others suggest is connect the Di2 to the E-Tube app and see if its due a firmware update.

IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
0 likes

What battery do you have? If it is before about 2018, then it may not support the firmware. Fairly sure my 6800 vintage battery can't do most of the fancy gubbins.

lonpfrb | 2 years ago
0 likes

I like your method as fault finding is about what you can prove and eliminate from the remaining set of unproven bits.
You don't mention battery condition so I presume you already charged everything. Cable condition is next at the cost of disassembly and cleaning. Similarly firmware upgrades are essential once you know that cables and power is good. Pairing again can help provided you can isolate devices or know their identity.
Good luck and persistence pays...

Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

Dont have a solution but fwiw my Di2 gear selection has to be re-paired virtually every ride on a Lezyne GPS.  No other sensor needs this much faff so mentally I've labeled it as a "Shimano problem".

Pilot Pete | 2 years ago
1 like

Have you gone into the Garmin home page, settings, sensors page and searched for it, then connected it? I find they have a habit of dropping the connection, even just when stopping the ride and turning off my Garmin at a cafe stop.

Swapping between bikes (both with Di2) often requires me to do this to get the right Bluetooth sensor connected and displaying.

Latest Comments