Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Disc Pad Recommendations

Just checked my SRAM Red disc pads and was surprised to find that after 8 months and 5,000 dry, sunny km, they are about due replacement. (My old Ultegra rim pads lasted 4x as long, whoever said disc brakes required less maintenance?). Interested to hear whether anybody has experience of alternative pads on Red discs. (eg I was looking at BBB)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

mark1a | 1 year ago
0 likes

Sorry, don't have any experience with SRAM pads on road bikes, but I'm more interested in what pads you're using to get 20000km from rim brakes?

With disc brakes I usually get 5000-6000km from a set of Shimano Icetech resin pads, although I'm 88kg and live in a hilly area. Your mileage may vary but yours sound OK to me. 

Griff500 replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
0 likes

mark1a wrote:

Sorry, don't have any experience with SRAM pads on road bikes, but I'm more interested in what pads you're using to get 20000km from rim brakes?

With disc brakes I usually get 5000-6000km from a set of Shimano Icetech resin pads, although I'm 88kg and live in a hilly area. Your mileage may vary but yours sound OK to me. 

My riding is mountainous, around 7000km per year with 130,000m of climb, in a dry climate. My now, standby bike, came fitted as new with Ultegra rim pads and DT Swiss wheels. At 30,000 km, the bike is half way through it's second set of pads.  My new bike with discs will need new pads before 6000km.  

Interestingly, chain wear has moved in the opposite direction. I used to change my 11 speed chains at around 4000km, but at 5000km the Red Flattop chain is still easily passing the 3 point chaingauge.

Latest Comments