Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Disengaging with close passers

Just been the victim of a road rage attack (I'm fine, and, more importantly, so is the bike).

Had a head-on close pass on a narrow country lane at well over 50mph (its a NSL road) which unsurprisingly caused me to yell out (I think it was F*** sake, or possibly something blasphemous).

Cycled on my way only to have the driver turn round, pull alongside, and force me to stop. Following a continued exchange of viewpoints I tried to cycle off, only to be shoved off into the ditch. At that point the driver left whilst I checked the bike over and sorted my bleeding elbow.

Got me thinking - literally all I did to provoke that was to (a) exist and (b) yell out when he'd almost killed me. If I hadn't yelled at him there'd have been no afters, just another one to add the list. I don't run cameras because I can't be doing with all the charging and downloading of yet another device in a life I'm trying to make more device-free.

So I'm sat here wondering what I could have done differently. My partner's now concerned about COVID-19 risk (yelling at each other for 5 minutes isn't going to have helped but hey, adrenaline). Getting it in the ear for engaging but I'm struggling to think how I could have avoided it. I only stopped when he forced me into the verge because I'd rather fall off a stationary bike then be hit from behind on the road. In the middle of nowhere so at that point I couldn't ride off (no way to get away from the wanker with the 2-ton metal box). No way to hop a gate and go cross country because he'd just catch me on foot. All I wanted to do was de-escalate and get away from the situation.

The most annoying thing about all this is that for the previous two hours I'd had a glorious stress-free ride. Zero close passes, lots of give and take - I even had a WVM pull in and flash me through on a narrow lane. But that's the thing, it only takes one. At the moment I feel like it will be a while before I'm back on the road - I've just taken delivery of an MTB and my son prefers riding off-road anyway.

Sorry for the long post, just at a loss to think what I could have done and also worried about the fact it could easily have been the end of me.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments