Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Droppers for roadies

So, for the past month or so I've plunged into the murky, knobbly, dusty world of MTB. First upgrade has been a dropper post which is easily the best upgrade I've ever done on any bike. It's not that I'm hooning around a bike park, it's just as useful on very fast gravel descents because I can lean the bike more and shift my position to find grip. The other huge thing for me as I'm getting older though is that it gives a safe, efficient pedalling position, and now I'm seriously considering getting a short drop one for my road bike.

Why? Well, I've always run my saddle lower than optimal so that I can comfortably and safely stop whilst seated at junctions, traffic lights, etc. I just don't have the flexibility/bike handling to pop off the front on the saddle on to the top tube, or restart from that position. A dropper would give me that - set max extension at ideal pedalling height, drop it when needed, restart with it still down, and bring it back up once I'm up to speed. The short drop droppers aren't too much of a weight penalty and are now widely available in 27.2 for skinny steel tubes.

I'm guessing that this is probably sacrilege and the next step is wearing baggies on the road but it seems a reasonable idea. I might even be able to use the Di2 ports to route everything internally...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments