Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Electronic shifting, tubeless etc...are bikes getting too complicated?

I was listening to 2 cycling podcasts recently, one involving Geraint Thomas and the other David Miller; whilst not the main podcast topic, both had a dig against the latest bike technology.  G had problems with his electronic shifting, presumably whist training at home, and had contacted his mechanic who told him to check the batteries in the shifters.  He was a bit WTF (all the charging up etc)!  David Miller remarked that bikes previously just had cables and air; now it was fluids and electronics and was just, well, complicated.  I was recently riding with a friend who had electronic shifting, tubeless etc; putting his bike away he removed all the batteries ready for charging.  I asked what happens if the tubeless business doesn't work; he said he'd call his wife to rescue him.  My wife gave me the 'good luck with that one' look.  Someone else was raging that, on a gloriously sunny morning, her husband said that a bike ride wasn't on as his DI2 batteries weren't charged; he needed 24 hrs notice.

I'm pretty handy with bike maintenance; of the more recent innovations, hydraulics seems reliable and, apart from new pads, maintenance free, although maintaining cable brakes is dead easy.  Tubeless; I get it, but if you keep an eye on tyre wear and invest in decent tyres, then, hopefully, punctures are pretty infrequent.  Electronic shifting; is that necessary?  Just a trip to the LBS (booked up for weeks) when it goes wrong, wishing you had a simple cable system.  I often think to when you're on holiday with your bike; if there's a problem then sorting it yourself (if you've driven and have some tools/spares) means there's no impact so why not keep the bike simple.  On a 2 week holiday in France I noticed my rear wheel had a slight buckle caused by a spoke nipple being pulled out through the rim.  A LBS couldn't have been more disinterested if they'd tried when I enquired about a replacement wheelset (probably because I was a Brit); fortunately the rim held out although I was considering an emergency Decathlon purchase and sell the bike when I got home.  All this considered, I sense the bike industry has other ideas.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments