Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Enigma Etape

Somehow I've found my self in the very fortunate position of being able to afford a new bike and not just a new bike but a 'good'* new bike.

The main contender at the moment is an Etape from Engima with an Ultegra groupset and a set of Hope wheels. However, before I drop a vast amount of loose change on this does anyone have any real-life experience of this bike? 

*Read that as expensive and damn the consequences. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

one_bad_mofo | 2 years ago
3 likes

Well, I've had my Enigma Etape for a couple of months now and it's wonderful. As far as I'm concerned it's money well spent as I'm riding more and faster, despite it being heavier than the carbon bike it replaced. 

Happy days. 

5 likes

It's mine, all mine. First ride, after collecting it, was done this morning early doors. 

I know it's early days but it does feel like money well spent. Despite the seat height being slightly out and having to adapt to Shimano from Campag, different bar shape and new shoes and pedals. I was the quickest I've ever been on one of my local loops. 

Given the Etape is heavier than the carbon bike it's replaced that was a real surprise. 

Sriracha replied to one_bad_mofo | 2 years ago
0 likes

Photo, surely!?

one_bad_mofo replied to Sriracha | 2 years ago
0 likes

Too busy riding it to stop and take pictures.  1

1 like

It's happening. I visited Enigma yesterday and took a demo model Etape out for a ride, which turned out to be a longer ride than anyone expected, a sure sign of how good the bike is.

So an order has now been placed and a deposit paid. Now it's time to play the waiting game.

I was also fortunate enough to get a tour of the workshop from Jim Walker, the owner and founder of Enigma.  1

Dom 4106 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I'm 4 weeks in to riding my new Etape. Its that good I find myself just going into the garage to look at it. Honestly, beforehand I never understood how one bike could differ so greatly from the next. How could spending anymore than a grand or two on a bike be worthwhile? Unless your racing and after marginal gains? Whooooaaaa how wrong can I be. 
I bought it after earning some cash on the side and thought "I want something to show for it". I was fed up of looking at my carbon Cube Agree GTC. Nothing wrong with it, does the job, fairly light at 8.5kg just a bit dated and mwah. I started looking for something different, away from every other brand you see on the road... and then I saw David Arthurs first video on Youtube and the penny dropped. Titanium ticked all the boxes. I wanted something that was bomb proof, all season, still light and looked a bit different on the road. After loads of research into different brands I kept coming back to Enigma, both for price point and quality and spec. David did his second video and that was it. Boom. Sold.

I went for some more expensive Hunt 33 carbons which are pretty darn light along with 105 to keep the price down (after researching the difference with Ultegra and coming to the conclusion that most honest reviews say other than a couple of grams performance wise you can't tell the difference).

After a four month wait for the build, it arrived 4 weeks ago and its just ridiculously different. Best words I can describe it is smooooth, solid, silent. The bumps and uneven tarmac of every British road kind of just get absorbed, you can feel it but it kinda just absorbs and glides over it. I got the bike shop who built it to weigh it with pedals on and it came in at 8.9kgs which I'll take. The wheels compensate for the 400g lighter Cube Agree and I honestly can't tell the difference going up hill. Get fitter is my approach!!!!

I'm looking forward to it outlasting me and looking a lot better in 20 years than I will.

markshaf | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've had an Etape for over 5 years and love it. Comfortable and pretty light. I use it as my main road bike, only switching to the lighter more expensive carbon bike for Summer events. Everything from commuting, family rides, light gravel, audax and sportives are handled well.

I have Ultegra Di2 and Hunt Wheels on the bike.

one_bad_mofo | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've got a test ride booked for the end of the month and money burning a hole in my pocket.  1

Recoveryride replied to one_bad_mofo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hope you enjoy it. They look like fantastic bikes, and the new anodised finishes they offer look superb. A ti frame should last forever, as well.

The only thing I'd say is test ride a Mason Definition or Resolution before you part with your money; they are very, very sorted bikes, and with the kind of cash you're obviously considering parting with, you could go full Di2 etc, if that's your thing, and probably have some change as well.

one_bad_mofo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Well an email has now been sent to Enigma to start the process. I just need lockdown to ease enough for me to be able to go and visit the workshop. 

scholly9 replied to one_bad_mofo | 3 years ago
1 like

I spent a considerable amount of time during lockdown going over the pros and cons of different makes and geometries of Ti bikes.
Including Reilly, Moots, Ribble etc and guess what I ended up where I started with an Enigma Etape.
Mine was a frame, fork, headset, seatpost etc from an approved Enigma dealer which was then built up by the undersigned. (Something that we all should do? I did enjoy the process).
Anyway after a great 100km foray to Reeth today returning via Wipperdale Bank (Cote de Grinton) I can recommend the Etape... 🙂

Footloosecrow | 3 years ago
0 likes

Look at David Arthur's channel on You Tube. He has done two video reviews of the Etape in the last three months (so it is the current model) and he is very positive about the bike

I bought one which arrived (finally) in January this year. My thoughts are that it is a good looking bike (to my eyes anyway), fast, comfortable and seems built to last. I put GRX800 on it rather than Ultegra as I wanted a 48/31 on the front and the higher pivot and more downhill support from the brakes. 32mm tyres so it is a gravel-ish road bike which suits Cornwall's old mining trails, our broken back lanes as well as smooth(ish) tarmac.  I am on roads 90% of the time so didn't need full-on gravel.It will take 35mm tyres but not with mudguards. 

I thought I would probably break a carbon bike so titanium or steel was my choice. Also looked at Mason Definition and Resolution which were also excellent bikes and a little bit cheaper. Fairlight Strael may be another option and you could get Di2 and still have change on a Strael, compared to an Enigma.

Enigma are good to deal with and once the pandemic is over it is worth visiting them for a bike fit and extended demo. Mason similar level of service. 

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
1 like

One of my riding buddies has the rim version from a few years back and his only complaint is that its so good he cant justify buying another bike as a result yes

I should mention that Enigma were on my shortlist before I went for a Reilly.

henryb replied to Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

Secret_squirrel wrote:

I should mention that Enigma were on my shortlist before I went for a Reilly.

What was it that swung your decision in favour of the Reilly?

Secret_squirrel replied to henryb | 3 years ago
0 likes

Price and I went more Gravelly than the Etape caters for.   I bought a Gradient, and built it up with GRX800 DI2.

Latest Comments