Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

First foray into buying upgrades - advice needed

Hi! I have a giant defy 4 which I think is the 2014 model and cost about £600 at the time. I'm a purely recreational rider who likes taking part in sprint and standard distance tris. 
My average speed on the bike tends to be around 26-28 km/h for distances that tend to be no more than 40k.I've had clip in pedals and decent tyres for a couple of years. 

I haven't upgraded the wheels yet which I'm thinking is the next thing to do? 

I'd say my budget for wheels would be about £250-£300 for a pair. Is this a worthy investment on a relatively entry level bike? 

Any recommendations on a decent wheel set would be appreciated. I've got an 8speed shimano cassette, would prefer to remain clincher and have rim breaks! 

thank you in advance 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

David9694 | 3 years ago
1 like

You probably want to spend £400-500 on new wheels to make a worthwhile upgrade on what I assume are Giant/OEM wheels. 

check12 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Rock n roll gold chain lube

conti gp 5000 23mm front, 23 or 25 back (at a decent pressure eg 75 front 80 back if you go 23/23 or 75/75 if you go 23/25)

The speed you are going aero isn't really coming in to the equation too much, comes in at 18+ But aero helmet vented if you get hot and tight jersey wont hurt 

or if you don't have a turbo get one and do some intervals, that will probably make you faster than the above 

flobble | 3 years ago
1 like

The biggest initial gain (assuming non-drafting tri) will come from clip-on aerobars to give you a less upright position.

Then less flappy clothing. Then probably an aero helmet, and only then wheels, tyres and latex inner tubes. And a clean, well lubricated drive train (almost free!).

As Welsh boy says, weight is largely irrelevant, especially on flattish courses used in triathlon.

Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

All modern research suggests that wheel weight doesn't make any significant difference but if you listen to most riders a better pair of wheels makes your bike feel nicer to ride.  Within your budget are the Mavic Aksium wheels (https://www.merlincycles.com/mavic-aksium-one-clincher-road-wheelset-754...) available if you shop around for about £160.  Another £50 will get you a pair of reasonable tyres (https://www.merlincycles.com/continental-grand-sport-race-folding-road-t...).  Spend the rest on some new gear and brake cables and some new handlebar tape and you should feel a difference in your ride.

Others may disagree with me but I have 2 pairs of those wheels and tyres and am perfectly happy with the way they ride.

Latest Comments