Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Gravel Choice + size issues.

Hello i am considering to buy 2 bikes. 1st one is Merida Silex+ 8000E. The Second one is Giant Revolt Adanced 0. The second issue is a size. I know i am M or ML for a Giant with 180cm. I feel better on shorter i guees. The other issue is Merida ...... I bought M and needed to return. It was so long. I noticed even on M its a 400reach. I am thinking about ordering S . I dont know actually if those 650b wheels, di2 is not overkill for my level. I always used slightly smaller frames in road due to my longer setback. Here is a link with geo. This silex M is much bigger then Giant ML. https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=giant-revolt-advanced-0-2021,merida-s...|w.700. Also merida has longer handlebar and di2 hoods. I want dream bike for fun. I like this merida better for sure....but i shoul go probably for model 700 any or Revolt adv 1.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

kil0ran | 3 years ago
0 likes

Merida sizing is a bit non-standard - I used to have a M/L Merida Cyclocross 500 which fitted me perfectly. For virtually every other drop bar bike I'd be a large. 

Also, for a gravel bike you potentially want shorter reach than you would for a race/endurance bike - particularly if it comes with wider/flared bars.

Looking at the geo the Small Merida has better standover and a shorter seat tube - both worthwhile things to have on a gravel bike, particularly if you end up wanting to run a dropper post. Are you saying that the Merida Small bike only comes with 650B wheels? If so, once again no issue as there's plenty of tyre choice and if you're doing a lot of gravel you'll appreciate being able to fit something like a 47mm WTB Byway.

Robertson replied to kil0ran | 3 years ago
0 likes

Every size coming out with 650b and 80mm stem. 700c you can fit in every size. Merida frame looks better for sure. I do know about wuality but Giant by look.is not impressive.

kil0ran replied to Robertson | 3 years ago
0 likes

I liked my Merida, very well made bike. My LBS sells a lot of them and they're better value than Giant & Trek. I only sold it because they sponsor the Bahrain-Merida team.

Robertson replied to kil0ran | 3 years ago
0 likes
kil0ran wrote:

I liked my Merida, very well made bike. My LBS sells a lot of them and they're better value than Giant & Trek. I only sold it because they sponsor the Bahrain-Merida team.

ye but wich one did you use? 1 Question more. Are gravel bikes are usually stronger/more durable then road endurance? Is this really eorth go for carbon actually with so big tyres.

Latest Comments