Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Grinding noise when on the trainer

Hello cyclists

I have Specialized Roubaix that has a Shimano 105 groupset.  It's fine when cycling on the road however when I move the bike to my new (4 weeks old) Wahoo Kickr Core it makes a grinding noise when pedaling.  The grinding noise feels\sounds like it's coming from the rear where the chain meets cassette.

I put a 105 11 speed cassette on the Kicr and when the bike is not on the kicr and I spin the freehub it doesn't make a sound.  The gears move up and down fine on both the kickr and bike.

When I first got the kickr there was a noise but not enough to bother me however after taking the bike off for an outdoor spin yesterday I've placed it back on the kickr and it makes a terrible grinding noise.  I've taken it off and on a few times in case, I hadn't seated it properly however that has made no difference.

Can anyone share any ideas or tips for what to do next?  

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

shufflingb | 3 years ago
0 likes

It sounds like the trainer problems mentioned here https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/01/wahoo-ceo-details-fixes-for-issues-surrounding-kickr-2018-kickr-core.html  . It may be that the new trainer is one that has not been fixed.

The only other thing that might be worth checking is the Freehub body on the trainer is not dying i.e. it spins freely without excessive play. fwiw my TACX Neo v1's freehub died like that - upside to its death was that my ftp jumped up quite nicely after getting fixed  1

Good luck.

kil0ran | 3 years ago
0 likes

Do you have another bike you can try on the Kickr?

Alternatively, try swapping the cassette from your road wheel to the Kickr and see if that resolves it.

I do remember when the Kickr v1 came out there were complaints about how noisy they were, but I think there was a recall and it was fixed in v2 so probably not an issue with this newer version.

thax1 | 3 years ago
1 like

New cassettes tend to dislike (even slightly) worn chains. Have you got a new chain you could pop on the bike?

HaveLegsWillRide replied to thax1 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I had a similar noise when putting a brand new cassette with closer gear ratios on my trainer wheel. Refitted the cassette 3 times as I thought something was loose.

Turns out the wear on my chain was the issue, a brand new one silenced things instantly so would agree that's the likely cause

SimonRoadCC replied to HaveLegsWillRide | 3 years ago
1 like

So I took it to the bike shop and he believed this was due to an issue with the trainer.

He Made sure that I'd seated the cassette properly and it wasn't my gears that needed indexing. He also placed another bike on the train and it made the same noise.

It was time for me to replace my chain anyway so he did this whilst I was there.   The odd thing is when I got it home it still made the noise however I lubricated the chain and I have to say this has helped massively. It's odd because the old and new chain didn't make a noise when the rear wheel is fitted. Maybe the chain needs to be well lubricated with this new cassette.

www.BikeGeeks.com replied to SimonRoadCC | 3 years ago
0 likes

Was going to say the same. I lubricated my chain and now makes a lot less noise on the Kickr. This I neglected it because the bike is indoor use dedicated. 

CXR94Di2 | 3 years ago
0 likes

video would help 

Latest Comments