Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Hard compound tyre

Hi All, I am looking to find the best hard compound tyre on the market, I do about 200 miles per week and find I am only getting 4-5 months out of a set.  Any advise greatly appreciated 😁

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

AfterPeak | 3 years ago
0 likes

Personally I have found massive variability in my tyres. Sometimes I get 6000+ miles out of a tyre. Another year 2000. Its just pot luck. What I did find really help with slightly reducing my tyre pressure. Having them at max just means when you hit a shard etc the cut on the tyre bursts wider. FYI I just use regular gaterskins (not the hardshell ones).

Dingaling | 3 years ago
1 like

Continental Top Contact Reflex will easily do over 6000 miles. First class touring tyres.

Conti 4 Seasons are a lighter construction, good puncture resistance and I got 6000miles out of my last pair (1 pinch flat).

bobbinogs | 3 years ago
1 like

If you are getting 4-5000 miles per pair then you aren't doing too badly. The problem is that there is always a trade off and harder tyres tend to feel very wooden and can often be heavy whilst offering poor wet weather performance. If you place durability/puncture resistance above all factors then Schwalbe Marathon (Greenguard or Plus) are the way to go but don't expect to feel much zip. Failing that, why not look at a new set of decent training tyres a few times a year as a pretty small outlay?? Plenty of cost effective options like Vittoria Rubino Pro, Conti Gatorskins, etc.

Borann | 3 years ago
1 like

I don't know if this will draw scorn but I found triban puncture protects to be pretty solid on a glass strewn path. I replaced then with softer puncture resists and got 2 punctures in 6 weeks on same path before replacing these with new puncture protects. Pretty cheap too.

Latest Comments