Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help: confused over wheelset

Hi there,

I've been eyeing at the new Canyon Aeroad Bike for quite sometime. However, the recent update has left me confused. Canyon Aeroad CFR is giving choices for either a bike with
1. DT Swiss wheelset. That is DT Swiss ARC1100 Dicut ; or
2. Zipp 454 NSW Db

I've done some readings on the Web but can't differentiate or get a feel which one may be more suitable for the aero canyon bike. I'm also fully aware that the Internet contains lots of promotional marketing material hence it confuses me even more.

As such I wonder if anyone out there could help me point out what could be the difference between both wheelset, apart from the price.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Cheers
TM

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

They're both c.50mm deep carbon disc wheels, so both are a good 'fit' for the bike. The Zipps by my maths are a c.£1000 upgrade, so I'd want something pretty tangible for that price differential. The tests Hambini did seemed to suggest the Zipps had below average aero performance for their depth. I know Hambini is a bit marmite, but allowing for those results and the price difference, I'd stick with the DT Swiss.

CXR94Di2 | 3 years ago
1 like

Buy the DT Swiss wheels, aero performance wise there wont be much in it. Save a big chunk of money. I do like DT Swiss hubs too

Joe Totale | 3 years ago
2 likes

I'd lean towards the DT Swiss wheels. They come with their great 240 hubs which I've had before and are easy to maintain.

Zipp hubs don't have a great reputation when it comes to reliability.

joeegg replied to Joe Totale | 3 years ago
1 like

I can't comment on the aero credentials but I do have some DT wheels with the Dicut hubs that came on my Canyon.
They aren't as smooth as my Campag hubs,and the front gave me bearing problems due to poor machining.I have 2 sets of DT wheels and both unwind their spokes at the nipple.The Dicuts are not a cheap wheelset so I'm not too impressed.

Latest Comments