Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Hiding an N+1 from the missus

Just wondering how many of this fraternity have succumbed to the temptation to hide an N+1 from their SO?

And whether you were eventually busted?

Used to do it all the time when I was retrobiking and had frames coming in and out like yo-yos. Much harder now I have just riders and N is down to 4-5.

Any tips / cautionary tales?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

Mungecrundle | 3 years ago
1 like

Guy at work still has the bike he bought without his wife's knowledge stored in a spare office. 3 years now...

Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
1 like

...stealth is the answer here...component by component replacement.... although I just landed a new Factor O2 and my wife was genuinely understanding.  I did say that I'd probably get rid of some of my older bikes, but it's difficult - they have zen. 

mtb_roadtripper | 3 years ago
3 likes

Not so long ago I was looking for a mtb for my girlfriend, something good but obviously not too pricey. While searching I began to get pangs of lust for a hardtail. I had a road bike, touring bike, full suss mtb but while looking through hardtails for her.....I bought a Kingdom Vendetta Ti....She is now my exgirlfriend and I have a bloody gorgeous aggro hardtail. heart

ktache replied to mtb_roadtripper | 3 years ago
0 likes

Nice!  The bicycle that is.

Reasonable prices and very customisable.

Obviously not meant to be, but wouldn't something second hand have sufficed, you could have upgraded and made it hers together.

mtb_roadtripper replied to ktache | 3 years ago
1 like

It was second hand, only just, maybe 20 rides old. 

Obviously there was an absolute myriad of things wrong with that relationship. The beautiful titanium rocket ship was one of the lighter straws that broke that particular camels back. 

srchar | 3 years ago
0 likes

I don't understand why people need their other half's permission to buy something, assuming there is a roof over your heads, heat, light and food on the table.

Would it really cause a row if you bought a new bike without approval?

Hirsute replied to srchar | 3 years ago
2 likes

Yes - I take it you are either not married or have a large amount of disposal income.

essexian replied to srchar | 3 years ago
0 likes

My wife and I have an agreement. I can spend whatever I like on bikes as long as she can spend the same amount on guitars....

Somehow I don't think her latest purchase cost the same as the £75 I spent on my new handbuilt Ti framed machine....

Cargobike | 3 years ago
4 likes

Good God, are you a man or a mouse?

Honesty and being upfront about your cycling fetish is always the best way to go. Where would the lying stop after the first untruth has been told?

Of course, you could always bribe her. I'd imagine she'd love a new hoover when you get a ew bike 

jollygoodvelo | 3 years ago
2 likes

As someone said above, as long as you're not compromising your finances in other areas (including saving towards whatever targets you have) surely you can spend your money how you choose.

That said, I did once bring a new bike home while she was at work, left it in the space that the old one was in (and put the old one in the spare room) and it took a week for her to notice.

brooksby replied to jollygoodvelo | 3 years ago
2 likes

jollygoodvelo wrote:

As someone said above, as long as you're not compromising your finances in other areas (including saving towards whatever targets you have) surely you can spend your money how you choose.

That said, I did once bring a new bike home while she was at work, left it in the space that the old one was in (and put the old one in the spare room) and it took a week for her to notice.

If you are married then there is no "your (singular) money" but only "your (plural) money". In my experience, I need to get my wife's permission to spend money on 'luxuries' but she can buy whatever she wants...

Nick T | 3 years ago
1 like

Just buy a bike and put it where you intend to keep it. If I care home and there was a new handbag/shoes/bike/laptop/nintendo she bought herself on the dining table I wouldn't give a shit, why should it be any different the other way around

Richard_pics | 3 years ago
1 like

"those wheels new?..... No babe, just cleaned them up" 

(she knows)

PRSboy | 3 years ago
2 likes

My wife neither knows nor cares what I spend on my hobbies within reason, so long as it does not compromise our finances in other areas.  I always talk about intended major purchases, because she's very incisive at getting to the nub of what it is I want and whether I'm looking to buy for the right reasons.  As such she's saved me from a few mistakes, but equally, I've enjoyed things I've bought much more because she's been behind it. 

Were I intending to hide a purchase, I would do it in 'plain sight'.  The idea of modding an existing bike is a good plan.

matthewn5 replied to PRSboy | 3 years ago
1 like

Same here. But we have rigorously separated finances.

Talk to your OH about why you love bikes, tell them why you want a new part, show them the bits you're buying, ask for help deciding on texture/colour of bar tape, etc. My OH has no real interest in bikes per se, but loves the bike I built her, and is always excited and happy for me if I buy a new frame/groupset, etc. I ask her opinion on colour matching etc because she's got a better eye for that than I have.

It can become a shared joy, as long as it doesn't 1. bankrupt you, 2. stop you paying your share of the bills/mortgage etc, 3. fill up the living room with bikes

alotronic | 3 years ago
3 likes

Have done it, but only on cheap items (eg training wheels, second hand frames) and didn't feel great about doing it and stopped. Certainly would not spend over around £200 without approval. TBH it's a good sense check or I would have spent way too much money on bikes, when really, what I need to spend is time on the bikes I have...

kil0ran | 3 years ago
1 like

Self-build is the way to go. My old Triban 3 (now a pub bike) has been through commuter build to fast road with Di2 to light tourer to pub bike. Started with Claris, then Ultegra Di2, then back to 105, then to Tiagra, and now back on Claris. Wheelsets from whatever it came with to deep section aero to dynohub and now on a mixed set of whatever I had in the shed. My partner calls it Trigger's Broom and quite rightly so.

Alongside that one I've been through 3 other bikes and have two in the shed that I've had in more or less the same configuration for almost 3 years. Haven't bought a frame for three years either. 

Never dishonest about these though although equally she doesn't ask how much I'm spending on them. As far as she's concerned I don't smoke or drink or have flash tastes or any other expensive hobbies and so it's fine within reason. I think I'm at the stage now where expenditure is going to be limited to tyres and other consumables.

David9694 replied to kil0ran | 3 years ago
3 likes

"Don't let my wife sell my bikes for what I told her I paid for them"

jaymack | 3 years ago
6 likes

Alternatively you could treat your spouse/partner with respect, not lie to them or try to pull a fast one and just say you're going to spend some of your money on yourself.

Welsh boy replied to jaymack | 3 years ago
0 likes

I was a little bit tongue in cheek, some bits do get sent to work (there's always someone there to sign for a delivery) but I wouldn't do a whole bike without saying (well, not unless I was happy to keep the same colour scheme going).

brooksby replied to jaymack | 3 years ago
1 like

But I'm not allowed to do that...

efail replied to brooksby | 3 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

But I'm not allowed to do that...

Agree. I daren't ask my wife how much she spent having her hair done yesterday. 

Simon E | 3 years ago
2 likes

No, sorry. I feel that dishonesty is a slippery slope. I would also not appreciate it being done to me and would lose trust in that person. I'm not being judgemental, everyone has different relationships, that's just how I am.

I'm up to 4 bikes now but all but the oldest were secondhand and cheap (the most I've ever spent is £640 for a 5 year old TCR used for racing). 2 or 3 would be better.

Welsh boy | 3 years ago
2 likes

Same colour as the last bike and delivered to work address. Sell a few old bits on eBay, that always covers the cost of the new bits. Not that I know what you are talking about.

Latest Comments