Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Hill climbing

So yesterday I rather foolishly decided to take on the Shibden Wall climb (https://youtu.be/cux8NvJKl6Y) which offers half a mile of climbing at an average 15% and a max gradient of 25%. Add to that the fact that the majority of the climb is done on Yorkshire's finest cobbles, and it proved a step too far for my current ability.

With this in mind, I've made it my mission to improve my climbing so I can one day take on the hill again, hopefully next time more successfully. Can anyone offer any tips and advice for improving my climbing? Or is it simply a case of practice makes perfect?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

nniff | 3 years ago
1 like

Share the pain.  Vary the muscles that you use.  Practice 'pedalling circles not pistons'.  Not on a hill, pedal with just one foot to get the hang of a circular stroke.  Then change to the other foot. Then both together.  When you're going up the hill give tiring muscles a break by alternating pushing down with this circular stroke.  Vary your seating position too, sitting up more makes it easier to engage the muscles in your backside.  When you get out of the saddle, really work on the circular motion and keep your knees in line - don't pedal like a cowboy, keep the 'stair climber' going.  If it's so steep that your back wheel is slipping when you're standing, turn your hands round so that you've got your bars in an underhand rather than an overhand grasp, which will push your weight back a bit - or sit down and get your weight on the back wheel.  If you're getting serious, do laps of a moderate 8 to 10 minute hill, once standing, once seated - and repeat.   That way, when it comes to standing, you know you've got it covered.

PRSboy | 3 years ago
2 likes

Just some random thoughts...

Start off very gently- you will need to dig deep toward the top.  Get into a low gear straight away.  Breathe deeply early on, don't get into oxygen 'debt'.

Aim for smaller goals... e.g the manhole cover 10 metres up the road, then the tree, etc.  Break the climb up into bits, tick it off a few metres at a time...

Consider getting out of the saddle toward the top (but beware of slipping on the cobbles)- it loads up different muscle groups, so can give you a bit of extra go!

Good luck, its a great feeling cresting a challenging climb!

Shades | 3 years ago
3 likes

Average 15%, max 25% just sounds purgatorial to me; I'd either re-gear a road bike or grab my MTB or hybrid that have v low gearing.  We don't have climbs in the UK that match the continental ones so perhaps we see beasting ourselves on 15-25% as compensation.  It's pretty hilly around me and the 2 climbs that feature in books are absolute 'munters'; far more satisfying climbs around in my opinion.  Rides with killer climbs in them just wipes you out.  Even Mt Ventoux only nudges 10% at most, but you're at it for 2 hrs or so which is why it's hard work.  People I know who are good climbers are v light with great power to weight ratio.

bechdan | 3 years ago
0 likes

No idea what bike you have or what tyres you use but possibly having 28s on at lower pressure would help on the cobbled section

JaredP91 replied to bechdan | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm riding a Boardman SLR 8.6 on stock 25mm Vittoria Zaffiro tyres. As I am fairly new to road cycling I'm a bit of a novice, but from what I've read on various forums/cycling magazine website, I wonder if a wider cassette than the 11-28 I'm currently running would be better for climbing?

Rod Marton replied to JaredP91 | 3 years ago
1 like

Undoubtedly. I have lots of steep hils locally, and there are a good few I couldn't get up on a 28 sprocket. I can (just) on a 30, but really I need a 32.

One other thing to add: go easily at the bottom and leave the big effort until you can see the top. There is nothing worse than blowing up halfway up a hill.

bechdan replied to JaredP91 | 3 years ago
1 like

Simon E has already suggested a 32 cassette so yes an 11-32 is a better option for most of us on such a hill. The Halfords website doesnt specify what derailleur its got but Id imagine you could fit a 32 on there with adjusting the B screw all the way in.

As Simon AY said loosing weight whilst increasing power is the best way to improve, and like bobrayner says get practicing on them hills.

The Zafiros will be good for training and general use, but if you wanted to give yourself an extra advantage on the day then a lower rolling resistance tyre like Conti GP4000 would be a good upgrade, consider a 28mm if youve got the frame/fork clearance for it. Might not be much but if youve trained hard and got the weight down then it might be a little boost.

Simon E | 3 years ago
2 likes

Appropriate gearing. Even a compact with 32t cassette might be a bit big for something like that. Don't be afraid to use small gears.

However, improving power generation with low-cadence intervals is one of the best ways to get better at climbing.

Alongside this, learn to ride uphill smoothly and with greater efficiency - holding a good position, relaxing your upper body, pushing from your glutes instead of over-using your quads. Breathe deeply and evenly, train your lungs as well as your legs.

Use easier, steady gradients to work on technique. As you get better you can do more of them or use longer and/or steeper climbs to practice on. I'm not a fan of going up and down one hill so would prefer to create a route that goes up several hills, allowing some variety but also some rest in between.

Some people like timing themselves and tools like strava segments can help with motivation and tracking progress. However, like weighing yourself too often when you want to lose weight, you can focus on day-to-day variation and be distracted from the greater goal. Create mid and longer term goals that are achievable but not too easy.

There will be days when you feel sh*t, feel slow and don't feel like doing it. If it's really bad then save it for another day but bear in mind that, like learning a musical instrument or other skill, consistent and regular practice is the way to make progress.

Some good advice on this thread, particularly the post by AJ101:

http://road.cc/content/forum/161475-weedy-legs

Let us know how you get on.

bobrayner | 3 years ago
1 like

There's no substitute for practice!

If you're near Halifax, then there's no shortage of almost-as-steep-as-Shibden-Wall routes to practice on.  1 Personally, I really like the climbs around Luddenden - like Halifax Lane - Birch Lane - Raw End Road - although most are tarmac. There's a cobbled climb up towards Midgley which scares me and I've never been up.

Have you tried the Buttress? Compared to Shibden Wall it's deeper in the shade of trees &c., so better wait til the weather's been sunny for a couple of days til the cobbles are less slippy...?

JaredP91 replied to bobrayner | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks the steer @bobrayner, I figure if I'm going to improve my climbing anywhere I'm probably in the best place possible in Calderdale. I've tried a couple so far (Shibden Wall and Southowram Bank) and plan to take on as much of the Calderdale 50 as possible in the coming months.

pablo | 3 years ago
1 like

Hill repeats is your best option but over a longer distance with less gradient. 15% for the vast majority over that distance would just be happy to make it.

SimonAY replied to pablo | 3 years ago
3 likes

Unless you weigh under 65kgs it's all about shedding mass,even just a little. Imagine taking on that climb with a rucksack containing three bags of sugar and then without it. That's the equivalent of losing just 3kgs. 

Velophaart_95 replied to SimonAY | 3 years ago
0 likes

I must admit, I'm not a fan of hillclimbs, as it's basically a fitness/weight contest.  You could be over 6ft and 15 stone, and be superfit, but come nowhere....

Technical disciplines are a better test of a cyclist than hillclimbing.

Simon E replied to Velophaart_95 | 3 years ago
1 like

Velophaart_95 wrote:

I must admit, I'm not a fan of hillclimbs, as it's basically a fitness/weight contest.  You could be over 6ft and 15 stone, and be superfit, but come nowhere....

Technical disciplines are a better test of a cyclist than hillclimbing.

No-one said it was a competition, the OP just wants to get better. While climbing can be hard work whatever your w/kg, there's always the rewarding feeling when you get to the top, and maybe a fun descent.

If you're 15 stone at 6' tall you're unlikely to be superfit (for cycling). But the same applies in reverse - at 5'4" and 9½st riding over the cobbles or time trials are not my forté but I don't whinge about it, in fact I love TTs.

Latest Comments