Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Horses killed on the roads

horse riders often face the same issues as cyclists on our roads, been a couple of articles lately in the local paper about the numbers of horses killed and injured has risen again https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/23303791.horse-death-toll-rises-suffolk-esse...

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/23309726.horse-put-road-earl-soham-horror-cr...

and this one I remember especially as its a "quiet" road and route I use quite alot to avoid the traffic on the A1120, its single track so theres nowhere to go if someone drives at you at speed, and I was out that way on that day riding, but just chose literally to take a left instead of a right turn, and went a completely different route.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

lonpfrb | 1 year ago
6 likes

I'm delighted to live in Horse country and observe the BHS/BC best practice. The presence of horses gives even the dimest drivers a significant hazard to pay attention to as they are large, unpredictable and capable of doing damage to the vehicle and driver. I'd say that the majority of horse riders are female so yet another reason to pay due care and attention.

As pointed out here we have a lot in common though both bicycles and horses have a human rider so should be the concern of any competent road user.
We certainly have roads that seem to have been designed by sheep, full of blind corners and crests. So it's disappointing how many are going to fast to stop safely in the distance they can see to be clear on their side of the carriageway. Familiarity breeds contempt for the hazards. Oversize vehicles do not help, and all wheel drive is no answer for being too wide since the hedges can not be traversed into a field (2m tall).

Taxing single occupancy of oversized vehicles and more Active Travel are clearly required and beneficial to horse riders too.

David9694 | 1 year ago
8 likes

We face a common enemy out on the lanes for sure - that trumps by a country mile any differences (can't really think of any) we might have. It's why I find any horse/bike conflict so depressing. 

As we all know, bridleways aren't that commonplace - for my type of riding, and for hacking (walking or trotting your horse) you want a network of OS yellow roads that are passable, but don't really go anywhere and aren't a rat run. 

No, horse owners generally don't own whole country estates (one for any drivers tuning in). 

Call out when you think you are in hailing distance "bike behind" and wait for the rider to react. Watch the horse - jerky sudden movements are a bad sign, the rider may turn the horse 360 degrees to get it back under control. They can be unpredictable, they may be more used to cars than bikes, and riders' competence varies.  They are a herd animal, of course and are happier with other horses around them.  Pass as you would want to be passed, wave, say thanks. 

Horse brains remember things on a route and often react to anything "new" as a potential threat that wants to eat them - a drain cover, a wheelie bin, a rainbow crossing.

IanMSpencer replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
5 likes

The difference is purely that some horses are triggered by cyclists, and therefore so are riders. Throw in a bit of "they all go through red light" tarring with the same brush and you have division.

I would add that walking around Windsor Great Park, we had some mutterings from horse riders who were miffed that they had to break their canter on some of the tracks for walkers, but I can understand that, much like cyclists having to reduce speed on a fast descent.

We all can be a bit selfish, not wanting our fun spoiled. Unfortunately, drivers don't seem to get it that their bit of fun, or simple plain ignorance, can have consequences. As far as my driving and riding, changing attitude from "unlikely that anything is round the corner" to "there might be something round the corner has definitely saved me from a number of incidents.

Awavey replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
3 likes

Ive said before some cyclists also ride horses, and it wasnt my intent to create another us v them type battleground, I was trying to highlight really just that horse riders face similar dangers from drivers on rural roads as cyclists do that we are all vulnerable road users out there, and maybe its not something that gets the attention of people who live in urban areas that much. Theres no one campaigning for better horse riding infra on our roads is there.

But everyone of those incidents the BHS have recorded could easily have been a cyclist KSI instead. That quiet way road from Earl Soham is used by horse riders & cyclists alike, the guy driving at speed off the A1120 onto it, isnt being mindful of what other users of that road he may encounter, he just knows its not a road you're going to find the police bothering with, so he can drive however the damn he likes, and its that attitude you encounter most from drivers on these types of road.

IanMSpencer replied to Awavey | 1 year ago
6 likes

The sad thing is that driving properly down a country lane is actually quite fun, speeding up when visibility is good, slowing right down when it isn't, constantly assessing the road ahead. It's very engaging, and the more you do, the more you look for things like buried footpath signs in hedges that might represent a walker about to pop out over a stile. Many drivers seem to think the task is acceptable risk, and perhaps a mindset that they have the skills to avoid a crash (often not being aware of the need for half the braking distance to be the visibility required). As a cyclist I've been abused for "appearing round a corner" and having to dive out the way, without the driver ever thinking "what if I met a driver like myself there?"

levestane replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
3 likes

I live in a region of single track roads; you should be able to stop in 1/3rd the distance you can see.

Hirsute replied to levestane | 1 year ago
0 likes

Recalled this comment lat night when watching dash cam uk

https://youtu.be/an0YbKoKqnQ?t=436

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
2 likes

Most riders stick to known routes and try and stay off road, but getting from stables to good routes can mean unavoidably using busier roads.

I would guess that the majority of car/horse collisions are speed and corner related on country lanes - the sort of incident where as a cyclist you are able to hear an approaching car or plan for it and avoid being two abreast - horses can't generally dive into a hedge if a collision is imminent.

Be interesting to see stats on breakdown of horse/car collisions.

ChuckSneed | 1 year ago
0 likes

That's because horses are stupid and when they see a car or bike they start gyrating rather than staying calm like a human would. Also horse riders think they own the road and go in the middle of it when they should stay to the side

Sriracha replied to ChuckSneed | 1 year ago
13 likes

PhuckOff

Simon E replied to ChuckSneed | 1 year ago
13 likes

ChuckSneed wrote:

That's because horses are stupid and when they see a car or bike they start gyrating rather than staying calm like a human would. Also horse riders think they own the road and go in the middle of it when they should stay to the side

A demonstration of how horses are far smarter than trolls.

chrisonabike replied to Simon E | 1 year ago
8 likes

Even a horse knows this...

Downside to horses is they're easily startled. However the "cars in houses" thread shows that apparently many motor vehicles are too.

perce replied to ChuckSneed | 1 year ago
14 likes

I think I'd sooner have a horse on my quiz team than you. No offence.

Latest Comments