Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How to avoid death in the dark

Cyclist road safety is important to me (I ride a bike), so I spend time looking at relevent websites.

Here is a particularly bad one, it is mostly factually correct, but it seems to advise cyclists to wear Hi Viz to help motorists to see you when they are using a mobile.
Finally says that we can then all enjoy sharing the road as buddies.
The worst thing is that it is written by a cycling body.

https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2019/03/26/death-is-lurking-in-the-dark/

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

mdavidford | 3 years ago
0 likes

They seem to have confused fluorescent with brightly coloured, and also think that reflectivity makes things non-breathable, which rather makes me dubious about how much they know what they're talking about generally.

Hirsute replied to mdavidford | 3 years ago
0 likes

Only dubious?

brooksby | 3 years ago
0 likes

How to avoid death in the dark - it's easy.  You watch out for the bloke in the black robe carrying a scythe, and then go the other way.  Simples!

Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

Is this some sort of spoof site like https://southendnewsnetwork.net/

The text started off ok and then went into victim blaming mode -drivers are inattentive; solution make cyclists accommodate this.

Do you really need a 300 lumen rear light? That sounds mega bright to me.

The video - here's a tip don't create a video of 2 rapid close passes and claim the driver could not see the cyclist due to the driver's appalling road positioning and awareness

Always wear a helmet - it will keep you safe unless the driver is trying to unlock their iphone.

Cycloid replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

It's Brilliant.

It's so bad it's good

Compact Corned Beef | 3 years ago
1 like

Website says: WeLoveCycling – brought to you by ŠKODA AUTO.

Latest Comments