Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Hybrid urban bike flat to drop bar conversion

Hello, I know that conversion from flat to drops is never ideal, but I have set my mind on it so I will do it  1

I have a question about a stem length ... Have a Canyon Commuter 7 hybrid bike with stem length 10cm ... should I use shorter stem for drops? I,ve chosen 50cm Curve Walmer Bar.

Thanks for suggestions.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Argos74 | 2 years ago
1 like

Don't. Why? But just don't. No. The bike appears to be a perfectly capable commuter workhorse which could be pressed into service for light offroad / bikepacking duties as is. Flared, shallow gravel bars would not add any significant increase in performance or functionality.

The total cost of new bars, brifters compatible with the belt drive and MTB brakes (the compatibility challenges of this just made my brain hurt), tape, possibly a stem, and post-completion bike fit to make sure it's all dialled in run to a significant proportion of the cost of just buying a brand new gravel bike. There's plenty of very decent options for less than a grand.

Morignus replied to Argos74 | 2 years ago
0 likes

You are absolutely correct but I have my reasons I want to do that. Firstly I have the drops and right brakes already, so I only need the shifters, and second I wouldn't defend a third bike with my wife for sure:)) but both bikes i have are flat bars and I really want to try this. Considering this, am I right that for drops I should use shorter stem as my hand position would be far then on flats? Now the stem is 10cm so 8 cm for drops for example?

matthewn5 replied to Morignus | 2 years ago
0 likes

The problem you'll have is that flat bar bikes typically have a top tube far too long for use (for the same person) with drops. The forward reach on drop bars is typically 70-80mm, and then the brifters add another 50-60mm forward... you won't be able to shorten the stem enough to make up for the extra reach. You'll end up in an awkward forward stretch, or having to move the seat forward unattractively.

The only exception is if the flat bar bike is too small for you. Then you'll benefit from the extra reach that drop bars provide.

Morignus replied to matthewn5 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Great, thanks for your wisdom, the bike is size M which is up to 178cm and I have 180cm so the bike is a little bit smaller. I will try that, will se, at worst I will convert it back. I will post my results:)

matthewn5 replied to Morignus | 2 years ago
0 likes

Try with a really short stem, like one of these mountain bike stems:

//external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi5.walmartimages.com%2Fasr%2Ff0ebfdc8-0d5f-432f-a3f2-68a704130044_1.728758a58fa310d936a49f52ac22a5fa.jpeg)

That should shorten the reach enough - and will give you nice quick steering too.

I look forward to hearing the report!

Latest Comments