Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

It must be someone else’s fault! gridlock in Salisbury

This mayhem is only going to worsen over time if things carry on. there's a major trigger right now, but gradually the triggers diminish to nowt. 

A people -friendly Salisbury city centre - watered down now three or four times, roadworks that started on 3 September closing off one of the major routes 24/5, residents near an easterly rat-run upset about it all. 

https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/18695148.a338-downton-road-closu...

https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/18696191.milford-preservation-gr...

• People driving through town in cars aren't retail customers - retail needs a high quality, accessible environment if there's going to be any sort of recovery - I guess I have to defer to the traders' judgement and experience on that 
  • the Salisbury by-pass idea has been on the go for years, but I don't think it's anywhere near the top of any to do list - if ever built, what will be the effect? think Newbury, Oxford, Winchester
  • the Council are repairing the road you - drivers - wore out
  • the local buses are still running, despite the closure - maybe after a few days, a few lights will come on about this; 
  • Radio silence about ambulances, etc. no wait, Mr World of Furniture mentions it - well folks, if you're in traffic, you are traffic, so well done all of you.
  • ​Thanks also for the suggestion of night work, by the way - really classy
  • A couple of real chancers popping up on Twitter in the SJ article
  • are the Milford group same same ones threatening "strategic parking" when the four schools on that patch went back? or did they give the game away?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Cargobike | 3 years ago
0 likes

All this congestion must be a southern problem, the roads in the North Midlands up into Yorkshire are still far, far quieter than they were 6 months ago apart from the M1 and M6.

There's no better feeling than passing a mile long queue of commuters dawdling into town every morning. They always look such a cheery bunch.

Sod 'em! The car never was king and all the problems we now face can be traced back to the over proliferation of them. 

You reap what you sow.

ktache | 3 years ago
1 like

Sounds like a wonderful time to ride past huge queues of traffic, maybe they will twig what the answer might be.  Either that or hate the freedom that cycling can bring even more...

Hirsute | 3 years ago
1 like

I never understand why people think the whole of the road repairs programme for the county/unitary can be completed within the summer holidays.

David9694 replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
1 like

"But that's when there's all the tourist traffic. Can't these blinkered idiots do anything right??"

Latest Comments