Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is the jump from £1000 to £2000 worth it?

I know this might be the equivalent of "how long is a piece of string", but I thought I would pose the question anyway.

Short version, I love riding, and am currently on my second road bike in about 3 years, currently riding a Specialized Allez Elite 2019, which cost me £1000 about 18 months ago....I get out about 3 or four times a week at 30-50miles a time with an average of 15/16mph and currently weigh in at 85kg...and could drop a couple of kg to lighten the ride  1 (just in case all that is relevant)

Im thinking of upgrading and have been nosing around at the "best" bikes between £1500 and £2000, a lot of the components seem similar (105 groupset for example), or I can upgrade more by looking at things like decathlon and getting a van rysel...but what I can't seem to find anywhere is a guide as to at what price the jump stops being as relevant as simpy upgrading what you have.

For a rider my level is it worth spending out a new bike, will I see a tangible difference, or would i be better buying new wheels or something for the current ride?

I was considering something with slightly more aggressive geometry like the"

Ppecialized allez sprint comp disc (£1900) or a Giant TCR Advanced (£1900) or maybe a Trek emonda alr disc 5(£16500)

Appreciate this is a minefield... going to stop typing now before I get lost even more down the rabbit hole.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Master Bean | 3 years ago
1 like

£3k is the cut off to diminishing returns.

Simon E replied to Master Bean | 3 years ago
1 like

Master Bean wrote:

£3k is the cut off to diminishing returns.

By definition, there is no cut-off point.

Each of us may have a cut-off point but that's wholly individual.

JMark | 3 years ago
1 like

If your bike is decent and you like it then 1st step is to upgrade wheels, £200-300 or less 2nd hand will make a big difference, easily best bang for buck. Otherwise I'd say it's not worth upgrading as your bike is a new model and the jump up isn't enough to notice a significant difference. So wait either until you can afford the £2K + bracket, or until technology has moved on to a point that allows a smaller price jump to be a significantly better bike. Best to buy end of year for the bargains too.

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
2 likes

It's definitely a case of diminishing returns for your money. However, what else would you spend your money on and would it give you as much pleasure as a new bike?

Nick T | 3 years ago
1 like

It won't make you noticeably faster in and of itself. If you want it though, then do it - loving your bike is a big part of what gets you out on the road, buy something that makes you want to ride it. I've got silly expensive bikes that I love riding, I've also had cheap Chinese open mould stuff that was technically brilliant but I just didn't care about so they sat there unloved

maviczap | 3 years ago
1 like

Do it!
I've bought two 2nd hand carbon frames off eBay. The first was my Wilier Izoard, which I've still got, as when I first rode it, it was a revelation as my first carbon bike. It's got Ultegra on it, but I'd happily use 105 R7000 on it. It's been to the Alps & Pyrenees on a number of occasions. The difference between Alu and carbon is huge in my opinion, and I'd always opt for carbon.

My 2nd is my current training bike, which a Kinesis RS carbon frame, cost £135 on eBay, duly fitted out with spares from my parts box, except the shifters which were also 2nd hand 105 R7000 for £75. It's a superb bike for what I paid.

deviate | 3 years ago
0 likes

Might just be me being paranoid, but I'd be wary of buying carbon 2nd hand (especially from ebay) unless I personally knew and trusted the seller

stampz | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

One of the things I have been considering is I think I want like a more racier geometry..I wouldn't be replacing the Allez, this would be "as well as", also I didn't mention it, but I will be taking full advantage of the cycle to work scheme, so in that regard a new bike is easier than upgrading components  1

Simon E replied to stampz | 3 years ago
1 like

stampz wrote:

One of the things I have been considering is I think I want like a more racier geometry..

Fit a riser stem upside down and ride everywhere in the drops.  3 Seriously, be open-minded about geometry, a racier geometry isn't necessarily better.

The best thing is to vist some shops and see what they can offer you. There's no substitute for seeing and sitting and - hopefully - getting some expert advice. Don't fret over spec details, pick the one that makes you happy (and that includes choosing the colour) because that's the one you will love and will want to ride the most. Happy hunting.

Compact Corned Beef | 3 years ago
0 likes

If you've not already had one, a proper fit might be a good investment. Then when you've got new shoes, insoles, stem, pedals and saddle you'll have less burning a hole in your pocket  1

Cargobike replied to Compact Corned Beef | 3 years ago
0 likes

Serious question, has anyone tried getting a bike fit during lockdown considering we're supposed to keep 2m apart?

Simon E | 3 years ago
4 likes

I doubt a £2,000 bike will be that much nicer than your Allez. Have you considered some new wheels? And lighter, fast-rolling tyres?

The first thing I'd do is swap the Tektro calipers for 105s and fit some Kool Stop dual compound pads. smiley

mingmong replied to Simon E | 3 years ago
1 like

I'd say wheels too. The difference with a good set of hoops is vast.

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
1 like

It's an interesting price point as it bridges 105 and Ultegra territory especially if you look at last years models in sales.  However there's an arguement to be made that Ultegra's not worth the uplift as 105 is so damn good.  Your Allez is going to be compromised by the Alu frame and it only has half a 105 gruppo on it, plus you're locked into rim brakes.

I'd be tempted to retire the Allez to winter bike status which it will be fab for and buy yourself a summer pocket rocket or something that floats your boat.

ebays a great option for secondhand - a grand will get you something with a great frame,wheels and full 105.  I got a Fairlight Strael for instance at that price.

rayjay | 3 years ago
1 like

To be honest the best way to go is second hand . You get way more for your money.

research is the key . There are some real bargains.  

Sriracha | 3 years ago
3 likes

what are you looking for? More speed, comfort, enjoyment, pride of ownership, reliability, convenience, durability.. ? A lot of people will deny it, but deep down some of the pleasure just comes from owning and riding a fancier machine, and why not?

stampz replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
2 likes

Am I allowed to say all of the above...speed and comfort are great, enjoyment or just the thrill of riding...and of course that sense of pride that I now have a more exspensive shinier bike  1

Latest Comments