Is the jump from £1000 to £2000 worth it?

I know this might be the equivalent of "how long is a piece of string", but I thought I would pose the question anyway.

Short version, I love riding, and am currently on my second road bike in about 3 years, currently riding a Specialized Allez Elite 2019, which cost me £1000 about 18 months ago....I get out about 3 or four times a week at 30-50miles a time with an average of 15/16mph and currently weigh in at 85kg...and could drop a couple of kg to lighten the ride  1 (just in case all that is relevant)

Im thinking of upgrading and have been nosing around at the "best" bikes between £1500 and £2000, a lot of the components seem similar (105 groupset for example), or I can upgrade more by looking at things like decathlon and getting a van rysel...but what I can't seem to find anywhere is a guide as to at what price the jump stops being as relevant as simpy upgrading what you have.

For a rider my level is it worth spending out a new bike, will I see a tangible difference, or would i be better buying new wheels or something for the current ride?

I was considering something with slightly more aggressive geometry like the"

Ppecialized allez sprint comp disc (£1900) or a Giant TCR Advanced (£1900) or maybe a Trek emonda alr disc 5(£16500)

Appreciate this is a minefield... going to stop typing now before I get lost even more down the rabbit hole.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments