Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

La Vuelta

Favourite race of the year.

No idea who to pick, such a strong field I could have picked two or three teams. Just have to see how it pans out and react accordingly. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

82 comments

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 3 years ago
1 like

Yeah..will do. In fact better than that, I'll get them to do it. 

Condor Andy | 3 years ago
0 likes

Mohoric and Pinot DNS

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 3 years ago
0 likes

Gosh. A few purist teams will have those two. 

Sniffer replied to Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

Mine for one.

Dr Winston replied to Sniffer | 3 years ago
0 likes

Ouch. I think I've got lucky with my purist team. I swapped and changed umpteen times and so far I'm ok. The Giro team looked ok straight away.

stevemarks replied to Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

Only Nibali Valter and Sagan left in my hopeless Giro purist team makes me think only losing Pinot so far in the Vuelta is a result. indecision

Dr Winston replied to stevemarks | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yeah...I'm down to four. What I meant was the team almost picked itself. Thomas, Yates, Sagan, Nibali, Demare, Matthews and co meant there wasn't much to dither over. Could have had three different teams completely for the Vuelta...even doing without any sprinters at all was an option in this. 

Gkam84 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Well, it looks like Hugh Carthy is firmly on his own if he wants to go for GC. The nearest teammate was nearly 19 minutes down. AG2R lost another rider today, 3 in the first 2 stages, I wonder if they will complete or find a "positive" to withdraw the whole team.

Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

My home town rider Hugh Carthy sprinting with Roglic at the top of a summit finish in the Vuelta....what a lad. 

Gkam84 | 3 years ago
1 like

Froome is valued at 3.0 and I still wouldn't pick him. yes

Dr Winston replied to Gkam84 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Same here. I went with Izagirre and Valverde for the first three stages (maybe). I kinda fancy both will want to put a show on, but neither will last in that strong field. I think this may be a step too far for the latter based on his form, and Izzy is bit flaky anyway. 

Gkam84 replied to Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

My team

Condor Andy replied to Gkam84 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Standard or purist?

Gkam84 replied to Condor Andy | 3 years ago
0 likes

Both, I've gone for something different as I CBA with racing at the moment, it shouldn't be happening. I've got my purist squad and my standard the same, so both will run "as is" until someone isn't there and I can replace them in my standard. See how I get on.

0 likes

Yeah, all good. I went with Martin, Elkssonde, Martinez, Chaves > Woods, Dumoulin, Mas and Izagirre. In truth I've had them all about three times over. 

0 likes

Martinez was in a crash and hurt his ankle, has got back in but looks sore.

Mathias Frank and IIan van Wilder have abandoned already, don't know if they were in a crash or not.

Gkam84 replied to Gkam84 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Woods comes to grief on road furniture poles. EF aren't having a great start to La Vuelta. He waved his team mates off aswell. Similar to what Martinez did.

Gkam84 replied to Gkam84 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Froome off the back, he's cooked already, no team mates or support

0 likes

They must be the unluckiest team in the peleton by miles. Whoever approached that unmarked street furniture on that side was destined to hit it.  

0 likes

I would agree, but then I saw that Ag2r have lost two riders today. Ouch.

Woods is 18 minutes down, Froome and Ion Izagirre are 11 minutes down. I'd say unless you are in the top 40 on GC today at 4.30ish you are not winning La Vuelta. 

0 likes

Hadn't realised Martinez was so far down. Now what?...ride for Carthy?

0 likes

He's not out of it by any means, but I think plan B will be actioned, with Woods riding for both and ultimately as the race progresses, either Carthy or Martinez will be shown as strong, with all weight being put behind one. Carthy is a decent rider and has been showing it for a few years, whether he's good enough to challenge for GC, I'm not sure yet as he hasn't really been tested like that.

Pages

Latest Comments