Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Leg warmers vs bib tights

With the weather beginning to change and the cooler, wetter and generally more unpredictable autumnal rides now the norm, I'm looking to upgrade to some more suitable autumn/winter clothing.

I'm struggling to pick between leg warmers and full bib tights. I wondered if anyone has a preference? And can explain some of the pros and cons?

For instance, will a good pair of thermal leg warmers see me through winter riding?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

BBB | 3 years ago
0 likes

3/4 bibs, lycra or brushed depending on the temperature. It's not Antarctica.

don simon fbpe replied to BBB | 3 years ago
0 likes

Blimey, what would you recommend for 30 degree plus temperatures?

Nick T | 3 years ago
1 like

Padless tights over regular bibshorts for me, got plenty of knackered looking but still serviceable bibs that go under longs in winter. Double layered warmth and i don't wear out my summer gear prematurely 

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

Bib tights for me as they're more comfortable. I've got some leg warmers but have never bothered using them. I tend to regulate my temperature by adding/reducing what I'm wearing on my top rather than my legs and switch from bib-shorts to bib-tights when the temp is consistently lower than 10 degrees.

IanEdward | 3 years ago
1 like

I got lucky in that I inherited two sets of bib tights from my dad. I un-stitched the nasty cheap pads from them and wear them over a good set of 'normal' shorts.

I prefer them to knee or leg warmers as they don't slip down (or up, they have stirrups) so you don't get that 'saggy tights' look that I always eventually seem to get with knee or leg warmers.

Of course, the correct answer is both, as I'll still use knee warmers for frosty dry mornings such as those we're just about to start experiencing. Tights only come out for wet days as they have a spray-proof shin.

Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
1 like

I wear roubaix shorts with leg warmers down to pretty much zero degrees.

There are a few reasons why. I have had bib tights, but the quality ones are very expensive and don't offer the flexibility that shorts and warmers do.

When the temp goes below 15 degrees C, I will tend to wear the thermal shorts and a thermal base layer with a summer jersey over the top. If the weather may get a little warmer later on, I'll wear a short sleeved winter base layer with arm warmers. If it is going to go significantly above 15 degrees then I may not wear the base layer and just put a gilet over the summer jersey with the arm warmers. I can then remove those if it does warm up. I won't use leg warmers until the temp goes below about 10/11 degrees C.

When I go abroad in November, the rides tend to start off warmish, then it gets above 15, even up to low 20s, so summer kit with arm and leg warmers and a gilet for when the sun goes down and we are still out - perhaps sat in a bar after a long day in the saddle! It can then get bloody chilly! The warmers can be carried all day in jersey pockets and put on when the temp drops. I love that flexibility.

So back home, when the temp goes below 10 degrees C it's base layer, jersey and gilet, or jacket with leg warmers and thermal shorts. Still just summer shoes, perhaps with thicker socks, until the temp goes below about 8 degrees C, or it's wet, when I will wear winter boots with walking socks, and Spatz overshoes if it's wet.

Now I could wear tights then instead of the shorts/ warmers, but I don't need to, as I run hot and sweat even in the depths of winter! If it gets down towards freezing I will contemplate putting a pair of bib tights over the shorts and warmers if I know it's gonna stay freezing all day. That lot is quite restrictive, but bib tights without a pad work fine as long as they are not too tight a fit. Mine are ancient now, probably 10yrs old, but they get very little use so have lasted just fine. I've been through several pairs of roubaix shorts in the same time as the pad/ bum material starts to wear thin/ through and it is cheaper to replace shorts when that happens than the equivalent branded full padded tights.

Another benefit can be if you take a tumble. I have taken the knee out of bib tights in the past as ive skidded on the deck. With tights, that's an expensive replacement. If it's only the knee of a leg warmer it's only about £30 for a replacement pair. If you take out the hip on your tights, it's the same expense as just a knee. If you do that with shorts, once again they are cheaper than bib tights. Free crash repairs from the manufacturer is worth considering when you purchase, which will do away with that worry. But, you're talking top end kit to get that which costs a premium in the first place. If that's out of budget, then cheaper branded warmers/ thermal shorts is a good option for this reason.

PP

pablo | 3 years ago
1 like

Both. leg warmers if the weather's changeable although I don't like them that much as they restrict my knee movement a bit. Not much but after an hour you start noticing these things. Bibs in deepest darkest winter with no hope of it warming up again the knee thing gets on my nerves but last year I discovered the castelli ones with the inner liner which were a revelation as it's stays relatively stationary over the knee.

SuperCommuter | 3 years ago
0 likes

Bib shorts with a Roubaix fleece can do you into surprisingly low temperatures. Sportful Fiandre No Rain for me for a bit of water resistance. Some £10 waterproof overtrousers cut into shorts and stashed in a stuff sack for when there's a downpour. In deep winter the bibtights come out. I'd recommend getting ones without a pad that you can stick on over your usual shorts. Lusso aqua repel tights work for me. Some folk don't like the stirrups but I prefer them. Previous tights would get a bit slack and ride up, even with the silicon gripper

ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

My leg warmers, pearl Izumi water resistant thermals are excellent to have around, sits in the bag when not wanted in the colder months.

I wear baggies, goes with my commuter/utility mountain bikeness. 3/4s in the winter, very cold or wet and I put them on when needed.  I even pull my socks up a bit if my shins are getting chilly, like in the beast from the east.

Stratman | 3 years ago
1 like

Bib tights for me - Castelli Sorpasso.  Like the don I found knee warmers tended to bunch up so I also have a pair of Omloop shorts that are about knee length and work for the intermediate days.

Dicklexic | 3 years ago
1 like

Both!

I have knee and leg warmers to use with my regular summer shorts when it's autumn/spring type weather, or for really early starts in summer when it can be chilly, and then I break out the full tights when I know the whole ride is going to be really cold. I really don't like having cold knees.

It doesn't have to be extravagantly expensive, simple knee/leg warmers can be had for £15, and if you get some roubaix tights that don't have a pad you can put them over your shorts when it's really cold.

There is also a third option; IMHO for riding through the winter you need some thicker roubaix type shorts or tights anyway, as a pair of knee warmers and regular summer shorts will still leave you feeling cold. Thicker Roubaix shorts AND knee warmers versus full tights is the real choice.

peted76 | 3 years ago
0 likes

A good merino base layer, a good pair of winter socks and a pair of 3/4's sees me through all but the coldest of days (when I'll crack out the winter tights).

Also depends on the 'type of riding' you do.. my 'lighter' kit is okay for fast tempo rides as I'll heat up pretty quickly.. but for more social rides, starting off warm is better.

Cargobike | 3 years ago
0 likes

Personally never wear anything more than bibknickers. If it's that bloody cold I'll go and ride the missus under the duvet or go to the pub 

Shades | 3 years ago
0 likes

Initially I just had summer kit that I planned to 'add-to' (eg leg warmers, arm warmers etc) for winter, thinking that winter specific kit was just a marketing ploy by the manufactures.  I did, eventually, pick up some winter kit in sales and kind of ate my words; far more comfortable in a pair of long bib tights and a long sleeved winter jersey, perhaps with a baselayer on cooler days.

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

Bib tights FTW for me.  Galibier Mistrals (Gabba-like) are fab.

Cold is so often mixed with rainy in this country I think I might as well be protected from both.

wycombewheeler | 3 years ago
2 likes

I prefer to use knee warmers and thicker thermal bibshorts. I find leg warmers are too long for me, and bibtights are also longer than I would like. I do have some 3/4 bibtights, but these tend to be less warm than full length.

I'm generally quite comfortable with the 2" gap between knee warmers and socks, others may not be in the colder weather.

If you don't plan on removing them during the day bib tights or 3/4 tights are probably the best bet, they are more comfortable. I do tend towards bibtights if I am planning a ride over 4 hours in december and january as the warmers tend to irritate behind the knee on longer outings.

Grahamd | 3 years ago
1 like

Bib tights for me, I only use my warmers for long days that are cold to start but certain to warm up appreciably, about 3 times in past 4 years. 

I also have 3/4 for autumnal weather, which get plenty of use, so much so that I'll get another pair soon.

MoutonDeMontagne | 3 years ago
2 likes

I think it depends alot on what type of person you are (do you feel the cold or not) and where you ride. 

When I were a broke lad (student), I only ever used leg warmers through the winter, along with a thicker pair of bibshorts that I used all year, as that was all I could afford - Bibtights were prohibitively expensive. Eventually I bought a paid of Planet X unpadded bib tights, regretted the loss of beer tokens and carried on with leg warmers. That said, if it was ultra cold or wet, I usually went climbing or running instead! 

Now I still use Leg warmers (and knee warmers) alot in the Autumn and Spring months, paired with a pair of either Castelli Nano-flex or Sportful Fiandre Bib shorts. These also get used in the summer if its on the damp side. I rarely take them off since I don't have a team car to give them to, so Bib tights would feasibly be more practical. However, I find the warm shorts with either knee or leg warmers is more flexible for those inbetween temp days (e.g. 5 degrees in the morning rising to 14 at lunch), allowing me to buy a fancy and ultra warm pair of Bib tights for the winter/cold days. This saves having a pair of thick tights and thin tights at £120 a pop. 

When I lived in London, this combination got me through the winters too for a couple of years, since it rarely got super cold (below 5degrees) so its only as I've got older and moved north that I've really invested in quality bib tights. 

I'm a fan of the Sportful Fiandre no-rain pro bibtights for winter/crap weather as the windproofing is a real plus over the non-wind resistant leg warmers. BUt even then, the close weave nan-flex warmers are much warmer than my old lusso roubaix ones! 

OnYerBike | 3 years ago
1 like

I own a pair of leg warmers, but they rarely get used - if the weather conditions require it, I tend to reach for the bib tights instead.

- Although in theory leg warmers can be removed, in practice I rarely bother just because the it's an extra piece of unnecessary faff.

- I don't particularly like the feeling of the thigh grippers on my leg warmers (your experience may vary).

- Leg warmers might keep your lower legs cold, but if the weather's chilly then your summer bibshorts might not provide enough warmth to certain key areas!

That said, leg warmers do have some advantages - in particular, you can pick up a pair of leg warmers for a fraction of the price of a pair of bibtights. Indeed, that's why I have leg warmers - as a broke student with a single pair of cycling shorts, I got leg warmers to see me through the winter because I couldn't afford bib-tights. And I did ride throughout the winter in that combination - although I'm not sure I would recommend it!

mdavidford | 3 years ago
2 likes

Depends what riding you're doing. If you're commuting, warmers are a good option for that significant chunk of the year when the temperature is very different at the end of the day to what it was at the start, because you can shove them in a bag or pocket when not needed.

andystow replied to mdavidford | 3 years ago
0 likes

Same. And I can just take them off at my desk when I'm at work without needing to find somewhere private to remove my trousers.

don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

I prefer bibs.

I have knee warmers that have a tendency to bunch behind the knee making the ride uncomfortable. I saw last week that there are knee warmers with cut aways at the rear to prevent this, but I would consider the draughts there a negative.

My wardrobe consists of longs (maybe two layers in really cold weather) for cold/wet weather. They have been out more than once this summer, while I saw folks riding in shorts and short sleeved tops.

3/4 bibs for milder conditions, such as today 15°C and wind, to up to 20°C.

Then over 20°C, I'd consider bibshorts.

In all cases a pair of bibshorts are worn over the top. Only one day this year have I considered myself overdressed, I blame the Gabba for that.

Give them a try, at the end of the day it's a personal choice.

BobbyG replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Winter running tights under my usual year-round bib shorts  1

Latest Comments