Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

LEJOG but avoiding nuclear bombs

at some point, during JOGLE or LEJOG you will have to cycle past a nuclear bomb. You will not know the exact point when this happens but, it will happen. You will have to ride past, or even right over a nuclear bomb.

Google UK's stance on nuclear armerment. I didnt bother, I posted this as a thought experiment but theres bound to be truth in it.

My spell checker dont work either, please forgive me.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

craggie | 3 years ago
2 likes

Just be sure to wear a tin-foil helmet and you'll be fine.

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
1 like

The only reason we have 11* speed super machines dripping in Shimano's finest groupsets is because Japanese industry we devastated by the atomic bombing allowing it to arise Phoenix-like from clean foundations after the war.

So a I think a little more respect is called for - don't you?

* road gears of course.  Get thee behind me 12/13 speed heretics.

ktache | 3 years ago
1 like

If you ride upstream on the Kennet, on the NCN 4, from Reading, you go past both Burfield Farm and Aldermarston Warf and Lock, don't know how it's relevent to this discussion, as my OS map shows absolutely nothing there, but there are some big fences, and security notices and some amazing lighting at night.

Organon | 3 years ago
0 likes

I admire your Anti-Nuclear TENETs.

bobrayner | 3 years ago
7 likes

Thankfully, out of all the rides I've taken over the years, none have been disrupted by nuclear bombs. I haven't noticed any thermonuclear warfare at all. (Maybe these Oakleys are helping).

On the other hand, my last ride was disrupted twice by the chain getting trapped between the spokes and the big sprocket. Serves me right for trying to tweak my own limit screws. It cost me several minutes and quite a bit of swearing.

Conclusion: Limit screws pose a much greater threat to cyclists than nuclear weapons do.

hawkinspeter replied to bobrayner | 3 years ago
2 likes

bobrayner wrote:

Thankfully, out of all the rides I've taken over the years, none have been disrupted by nuclear bombs. I haven't noticed any thermonuclear warfare at all. (Maybe these Oakleys are helping).

On the other hand, my last ride was disrupted twice by the chain getting trapped between the spokes and the big sprocket. Serves me right for trying to tweak my own limit screws. It cost me several minutes and quite a bit of swearing.

Conclusion: Limit screws pose a much greater threat to cyclists than nuclear weapons do.

...and why are they JIS?

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
8 likes

What's even worse is that there's a completely uncontrolled runaway nuclear reaction happening up in the sky. Luckily, it's a long way away, but even at a distance, the radiation is dangerous and can easily cause skin burns.

OnTheRopes | 3 years ago
8 likes

That's why I always wear reflective clothing, it keeps me safe.

mdavidford replied to OnTheRopes | 3 years ago
3 likes

OnTheRopes wrote:

That's why I always wear reflective clothing, it keeps me safe.

I think you're confused - it's helmets that protect you from nuclear bombs.

fukawitribe replied to mdavidford | 3 years ago
3 likes

Reflective helmets - or things painted white.

mdavidford replied to fukawitribe | 3 years ago
3 likes

And not forgetting that we should all have mandatory insurance against nuclear explosions.

OnYerBike replied to mdavidford | 3 years ago
2 likes

mdavidford wrote:

And not forgetting that we should all have mandatory insurance against nuclear explosions.

Pretty sure my insurance specifically excludes nuclear explosions...

mdavidford replied to OnYerBike | 3 years ago
1 like

OnYerBike wrote:

mdavidford wrote:

Pretty sure my insurance specifically excludes nuclear explosions...

Well then it's just irresponsible of you to be cycling around putting all those innocent bombs at risk of blowing you up, isn't it? 

brooksby replied to fukawitribe | 3 years ago
0 likes

I thought it was paper bags?

fukawitribe replied to brooksby | 3 years ago
1 like

Hmmm you could be right - as long as you can duck underneath them and cover I guess you should be OK.

Imagine you'd got most of the way through LEJOG and your paper bag got wet just going past Faslane though, bummer....

mdavidford replied to fukawitribe | 3 years ago
3 likes

Never understood how covering yourself in ducks was meant to help. Seems impractical on a bike anyway.

Hirsute replied to mdavidford | 3 years ago
4 likes

That's fridges - it worked for Indianna Jones.

brooksby | 3 years ago
1 like

Ermmm..   What? 

fukawitribe | 3 years ago
1 like

Within a hundred miles or so, almost certainly. Luckily you don't have to be doing LEJOG/JOGLE to participate as war-heads are shuffled between West Scotland and Berkshire several times a year for refurbishments.

Bearing in mind the width of the UK, exactly how far away from one are you planning on being ?

Latest Comments