Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Litter Louts Targeted

A new initiative is being trialled which couples AI with Automatic Number Plate Recognition to catch and fine litter louts throwing things from motor vehicles

The 'LitterCam' that's watching you - BBC News  (sorry cannot paste the full link)

It is an offense to throw anything from a moving vehicle. Apart from making our country roads unpleasant to ride along every piece of litter represents an inconsiderate motorist. I reckon it's the same ones that think Punishment Passing is just a bit of good fun

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Sriracha | 3 years ago
4 likes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-56255823

They really need to install cameras at known regular fly tipping spots. On my rides I go by the same places, always freshly strewn with fly-tipped rubbish after the last lot was cleared up. There is no mystery about where it is going to happen.

Then the magistrates need to sentence the perps to a five year stint of being responsible and accountable for keeping that stretch of road spotless. If that means clearing up after every other fly-tipper so much the better. They'll have an incentive to grass them up.

Cycloid replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for adding the link.

Agreed.

The problem using camera based systems is that they can only cover a small strech of road at one time The motoring organisations will insist that in the interests of British fair play there will be a warning sign fifty yards before each camera. But it's a start. The certainty of getting caught and punished is the deterrent.

Latest Comments