Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Lower gears for climbing, Shimano 105

Hi,

I've got some good advice here over a year ago and so here I go again: planning to buy a cx bike from 2016 and slightly hack it. It currently has a Shimano 105 rear/front derailleur. Cassette is an 11speed 11/28 Shimano. Crankset FSA Gossamer Cross, 36/46. Do I have any options for going below the 1:1 ratio?

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

996ducati | 3 years ago
0 likes

Get yourself a Wolftooth and use a medium cage 105. Got a 36T SRAM WiFli sprocket fitted to the rear of my Shimano set up, running well.

Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
0 likes

It'll mean major surgery: a 34 inner ring, a 34 cassette and a long-cage derailleur - or a wolf tooth hanger to lengthen it. You should be able to get up most things on that...

Huckfinn | 3 years ago
0 likes
Rich_cb replied to Huckfinn | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yes.

There's an article on road.cc about setting that up to run something like 11-40.

Huckfinn replied to Rich_cb | 3 years ago
0 likes

Really?

Any idea on how to locate it?

PS: is this the one?:

https://road.cc/content/feature/how-get-ultra-low-gearing-gravel-bike-ad...

Rich_cb replied to Huckfinn | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yep.

You should be able to switch that model rear derailleur for yours quite easily.

Weejus | 3 years ago
0 likes

That's a 0.70 ratio, WOW, that must be cool.? I love my Cinelli at 0.75. Huckfinn hope you get it below....

andystow replied to Weejus | 3 years ago
0 likes

I think I've used it twice, and only when loaded with 50+ lb of gear. It is a touring bike.

Weejus replied to andystow | 3 years ago
0 likes

I see it in the "Picture of my Bike" thread,  you wont lose it with bar tape that colour, ha ha.. i posted mine in there only this weekend just gone.   I use the rear rack mainly but i do have the front racks hanging in the garage ready..!!    Cheers...

Rich_cb | 3 years ago
0 likes

The old 105 derailleur probably won't go too far past its published capacity but if you get yourself a Wolftooth Roadlink or something similar you should be able to fit a far bigger cassette.

Alternatively switch out for a new 105/grx/ultegra Rx deraillieur and you should be able to get 11-40 working easily without too much bother.

Steve K | 3 years ago
0 likes

There was an article on here saying you could run 11-40 on 11-speed 105. Personally, I've got a 50-34 compact and 11-34 11-speed 105, which generally does me fine (and I'm rubbish at climbing  1 )

andystow | 3 years ago
0 likes

My Jamis touring bike came with 105, circa 2013.

24/32/42 front triple.

12-30 10-spd cassette, changed to 11-34 when it wore out, no shifting issues. 24-34 is good for vertical walls or pulling tree stumps.

Latest Comments