Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Lower gears for Shimano 9 speed?

Folks, a friend is struggling with the hills and is looking for some lower gears to help. He is running 9 speed Tiagra with a 50/34. He currently has 11-25. I was thinking something like 12-27 but am beginning to think that might not be low enough for him. There are a few hg50 options like 11-30 but I am not sure if a 30 will fit...and 11-30 is a big range for 9 speed. Any thoughts on a cost effective way forward?? Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

bobbinogs | 3 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks for all the comments, plenty for him to think about 👍

ed-m | 3 years ago
1 like

I dealt with this exact problem on a mate's bike recently. Ummed and ahhed and went for an Acera derailleur and 11-34, he'll be fine on the hills now! It probably will be a bit gappy at points, but that's a much better compromise than walking up hills. Could have gone Sora derailleur but think the shadow design on the Acera is an improvement.

Simon E | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm not sure if the Tiagra 4500 mech will run smoothly with a 30t cassette (Shimano are conservative with their compatibility figures) but if you fit the cassette and wind the b-screw out far enough then you'll soon find out if it shifts cleanly.

The simplest alternative is to get hold of a Sora 3000 series rear derailleur, which will comfortably handle up to 32t cassette. Shimano says the medium cage GS will take 34t.

I run 11-30t with 50/34 chainrings with a Sora derailleur and don't find any big jumps. When you're in the 34 ring on a steep pitch reaching for the next gear down the 3 or 4 tooth jump in the bottom gears is a godsend, not a problem!

You might need to add a couple of extra links in your chain. Park Tool show how to calculate this correctly.

Woldsman | 3 years ago
0 likes

You would need to check if the rear mech is a ‘long arm’ type and could cope with, say, a 30T sprocket. Another way of getting lower gears in your friend’s situation is to fit an MTB cassette - say 11-34 (and new chain) - and an MTB rear mech. 9 speed stuff is starting to get trickier to get hold of, but something like a Deore M591 or M592 are the standard rear derailleur options. (If interested just check whether a barrel adjuster is already fitted or if an in-line one is required.) 

james.bowman | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have 9 speed Shimano although mine is a Sora rather than Tiagra groupset. Mine came with a 11-32 cassette and a FSA Omega sub-compact 32/48 chainset. If your friend wants to stick with their existing compact chainset then going for a wider cassette could definitely work. I find the gaps between gears okay although the jumps at the bottom end do start to become more pronounced.

wtjs replied to james.bowman | 3 years ago
0 likes

mine is a Sora rather than Tiagra groupset. Mine came with a 11-32 cassette and a FSA Omega sub-compact 32/48 chainset.

This is a great setup- 9 speed is ideal for people without infinite amounts of money. I spent a long time working all this out until I got a Vitus steel gravel bike in last November's sales and it's the best all rounder I've ever had. These FSA sets are using 120/90 BCD rings and the bike came with 48/32 as above, and 11-32 cassette. I really wanted 46/30 and 11-34 to tow my trailer up big hills for camping trips, and that's what I'll get when these wear out! I was worried that there would be no 120/90 rings because Shimano has moved to 110/80, so I bought some for future proofing

Orbeaman replied to wtjs | 3 years ago
0 likes

I went from an 11-28 to 13-25 on my Sora 3000 winter bike, the difference between 25 and 28 is quite a lot.

Latest Comments