Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

LTNs - positive analysis in the Grauniad

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/09/low-traffic-neighbourhoods...

Worth a read. Interesting side notes include that home deliveries are increasing, not reducing, traffic on minor roads in London.

I am not sure how the London experience extrapolates to the rest of the country due to the density - destinations are either closer or the benefits of driving are lower, plus public transport, but raises good observations including do pressure groups actually represent who they say?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Awavey | 1 year ago
0 likes

It always bugs me when reports cite huge increases, like a 172% increase in cycling in one LTN, but cant actually back it up with real numbers, best I can work out it was calculated just from surveys of local residents,not even traffic counters.

And then the Guardian just repeats the claims because it intrinsically supports LTNs as a "good thing", so doesnt apply the rigour to the analysis of is there really 172% more cycling here, yet the same data from that area shows no change in air quality even with a 61% decrease in road traffic internal to the scheme and 3% decrease to the external roads, those numbers dont add up.

All of which means it's easier then for the anti LTN groups to dismantle claims which are exaggerated and leads to more articles like this https://www.telegraph.co.uk/environment/2022/06/04/ltn-residents-postbox...

Not withstanding I dont think the think tank report is half as positive about LTNs as the Guardian claims, as it clearly suggests LTNs need road pricing and protected cycle lanes outside of the LTN to make them effective.

hawkinspeter replied to Awavey | 1 year ago
1 like

The report (https://www.centreforlondon.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/CFL-StreetShift-LTNs-Final.pdf) gets the 172% figure from traffic counts from https://enjoywalthamforest.co.uk/work-in-your-area/ltns/

//enjoywalthamforest.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/South-Leytonstone-LTN-Area-2-Data-Summary-Infographics-2022.png)

It doesn't look to me as though the Gradnuia is mis-representing the report at all.

mdavidford replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

That still only gives percentages, though. We don't know whether that 172% increase is from 1000 trips to 2720, or from 18 trips to 49 (which could be much more affected by statistical variability).

hawkinspeter replied to mdavidford | 1 year ago
0 likes

mdavidford wrote:

That still only gives percentages, though. We don't know whether that 172% increase is from 1000 trips to 2720, or from 18 trips to 49 (which could be much more affected by statistical variability).

I'd expect the raw figures should be available from the council

Awavey replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

I'm not saying the Guardian are misrepresenting anything, simply they havent questioned the source data, just repeated a reports findings, likely because the report is favourable & that fits with their editorial outlook on LTNs, just like the Telegraph simply repeats claims from anti LTN groups without questioning them because it fits with their editorial outlook currently.

But if you cant back this report up with hard measured numbers, and yes I followed the link to Waltham Foret site because I can read appendices & references for myself, but theres nothing there that says what any of those numbers in that presentation slide are based on other than it involved community engagement and a range of monitoring, which doesnt explain what that monitoring is or what the actual numbers were.

Call me picky if you like but when someone publishes a report using data to support their claims, I like to see the real data that led them to that conclusion. I wont simply accept something must be the case because it favourably shows something im in favour of in a positive light.

Correlation is not causation, statistics can be very misleading sometimes, always question when people use numbers to back their claims and demand to see their real data for analysis.

hawkinspeter replied to Awavey | 1 year ago
0 likes

On page 41 of the report, where the 172% figure comes from, it clearly states "Traffic counts" (although that's listed under the "assessment period" heading which appears wrong). In contrast, the Enfield study was produced from longitudinal resident surveys.

You did imply strongly that the Garudnia was misrepresenting when you stated "I dont think the think tank report is half as positive about LTNs as the Guardian claims". However, I do agree that they (Graduian journalists) don't do in depth fact checking as that doesn't seem to be a major factor in modern journalism, but I'm not aware of instances where they just make stuff up like certain other news organisations.

I think your issue is more with the Centre for London Think-tank than the Gnarduia

mdavidford | 1 year ago
0 likes

Strictly speaking, it doesn't say that home deliveries are increasing traffic - it conjectures that it's probably due to a combination of home deliveries, ride hailing, and satnav-induced rat-running. It doesn't make any attempt to quantify or disaggregate them.

If I had to guess, I'd say home deliveries are probably the smallest contributor of the three, because many of them, before they were home delivered, would have involved someone jumping in the car to get to wherever they were going to buy/collect the thing that's now being delivered, so you're just replacing one journey with another. Whereas the other two are much more likely to be strightforwardly new traffic.

chrisonabike replied to mdavidford | 1 year ago
0 likes

I'm not sure I'd agree that deliveries are a minor component.  Without numbers it's speculation as you say.  Plus they are completely different travel patterns.  That would be comparing companies doing lots of deliveries on a route (and aside from shopping we're probably getting lots of deliveries of one or two items via multiple couriers) vs. lots of people individually travelling - probably going to a "location" - eg. town centre - and collecting multiple things.  But that might well be part of a multi-purpose trip or one they would do anyway e.g. after work / a school run.

hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

I wonder if this will get picked up by other news organisations.

Saw that FT covered it a week ago, but it's paywalled.

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
2 likes

The paywall thing is interesting.

On the one hand, I'm aware that the news I read is not completely representative (online tabloids and the Graudian); but on the other, all of the right-leaning 'serious' newspapers (Times, Torygraph, FT) are paywalled.  And I'm definitely not paying to buy the treeware copy of any of them...

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
0 likes

I don't usually bother trying to bypass paywalls, but it's easy enough to get to their article. It's got an interesting bit about how Copenhagen initially had LTN issues back in the 80s

https://www.ft.com/content/2a1c7d1f-d012-4679-b413-f9a19a110471

brooksby | 1 year ago
0 likes

You just beat me to it, Ian!

Latest Comments