Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Maddux DC 3.0 Wheels Info

Trying to find the specs on these older wheels. (Madduc DC 3.0 700c)

Specifically, I would like to find out the spoke material and recommended tension so I can true them properly.

Have searched the WEB but no solid results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Vic

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

mtbtomo | 3 years ago
0 likes

I doubt you will find any info re. spoke material and tension on a relatively cheap set of wheels. It would be hard information to find on more expensive sets even.

Regardless, I don't think you really need it with a bit of mechanical sympathy and working methodically...

If you have a slight wobble/out of true section then you can true it just the same as you would any set of wheels, or if one particular spoke is loose then it will be around the correct tension when it makes the same musical note when plucked as the other spokes. If you're unsure, then quarter turn of a nipple at one time.

There is more to it but i'd really just read up on how to true and/or build wheels.

vicbrincat replied to mtbtomo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the input mtbtomo.

I have trued up the wheels so their is no wobble...I was just concerned about the amount of tension on the spokes...I use these on my indoor training bike as they are (as you mentioned) a cheaper set of wheels. 

They have long since outlived their purpose on the road..but still ok for indoor training.

Thanks again. 

Vic.

mtbtomo replied to vicbrincat | 3 years ago
0 likes

In which case, I would compare the tension to other wheels you have. Squeeze the parallel(ish) pairs of spokes together (assuming 2 or 3 cross rather than radial) and compare against your other wheels.

Most "normal" type rims and spokes (i.e. not something proprietary like Mavic Kysrium) will have similar tensions.

I would perhaps wind on each nipple 1/4 turn if you are concerned. Wheel tension isn't really that crucial on an indoor trainer clearly. Doesn't matter if a spoke snaps at home, or equally if they're a bit loose then there are no bumps or rattle in the road to put them out of true.

vicbrincat replied to mtbtomo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks again, mtbtomo.

Great input.

Never occurred to me that truing and spoke tension is not as important on indoor trainer. You are right. Will follow your recommendations.

Vic

mtbtomo replied to vicbrincat | 3 years ago
0 likes

No worries Vic, sounds like a good way to learn a little about wheel truing etc without the worry of it going wrong whilst out on the next ride  1

Latest Comments