Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mavic Open Pro vs Open Elite

Hi all,

I build wheels for my winter bike using Mavic Open Pro 32h rims. I've worn down my current rims and in the course of shopping for new ones I came across Mavic 'Open Elite' 32h rims. The first thing I noticed is that they're much cheaper than the Open Pro rims! I'm not really bothered about weight, stiffness, performance etc being worse than the Pro's. My question is, does anyone know if the Elite rims measure up differently in any way to the Pro's, such that it would affect the spoke length in the wheel build? I'd be sticking with the same hubs. Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Gimpl | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm not a huge fan of Open Pro rims - I have just had mine swapped out for H Plus Son. The Open Pro's were very 'bendy' and cracked around numerous spokes. Probably not helped by my size however when I had them built originally my requirement was for bullit proof and roll nicely - couldn't care less about the weight. 

Balthazar | 3 years ago
1 like

I've never built wheels from those rims, but I recall they need slightly longer spokes than Open Pro's, which is confirmed by the spoke length calculator at https://spokelengthcalculator.com. An ERD of 605mm vs 602mm. Depending on your current spokes, might get away with it.

Open Pro is one of the few remaining rims with eyelets and sockets- meaning the spoke tension is supported by both long sides of the rim box-section, rather than the rim bed alone. I view this as a valuable characteristic for durability/weight (light rims with single eyelets are prone to cracking), but it is missing on the Elite. I'd pay the extra. That said, socketed rims seem to have vanished from sight generally, so who knows.  

In your case, by the time you've bought new spokes, you've wiped out any saving, so I'd say just get some more OP's. 

Chris Hayes replied to Balthazar | 3 years ago
0 likes

Great advice.  I run old Open Pros as winter wheels and you can't go wrong - unless you want tubeless, etc.  I also have some of the newer Open Pro USTs which whilst wider and accept tubeless tyres (as long as they're French - no, really!), they're not as durable. 

Latest Comments