Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Max Rim / Tyre on Ultegra 6800 brakes?

Hi all, I'm looking to build up some new wheels for someone, and have all but decided on lightbicycle's AR36 rims...they are 28 mm external. Anyone know if this is an issue with 6800 ultegra brakes?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Tim.EO | 3 years ago
1 like

I have some Easton EC90sl rim-brake wheels, which apparently are also 28mm external width. I struggled getting them to fit with my ultegra 6800 brakes. However, I ended up putting the wavy washer on the wrong side of the brake pads to give an extra couple of mm clearance and they seem to work fine. I'm sure someone will be along to tell me to not to do that, but I've had no issues whatsoever for the past two or three years they've been like that.

If you're concerned, I think the newer ultegra brakes have more clearance and, in the context of buying a new pair of wheels, upgrading the brakes isn't a massive extra cost

Edit: just to add, I run 25mm Vittoria rubino tyres at the moment, which are also fine, but clearance is tight. I've got some flinger mudguards sat in the garage unused because there's no room for the bracket to go under the brake arms. I reckon 28s would be a no-go

Mathemagician replied to Tim.EO | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the response- he's planning on running 25c Vittorias, so sounds like he'll be OK on the tyre front. Looking at the guidance from Shimano they say max external width is 28mm, so it really should be fine. 

Latest Comments