Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Muc Off Bike Pressure Washer Vs Pressure Washer

Is this pressure washer great marketing or is there an actual difference? I'm looking to buy a pressure washer ideally used on my bike and ...patio and car.
Ive read the review on here and the last line is "don't tell muc off it can do a patio" so must be very powerful unit, In that case you can possibly buy a cheaper washer that's just as powerful. The GCN YouTube video says pressure washers don't damage bike parts anyway?

So does this answer the question. Just buy an ordinary pressure washer? 🤔😒

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
2 likes

I've never felt the need for a pressure washer to clean my bicycles. I do own one but it never goes anywhere near my bikes.

I simply use a hose pipe and a tub of bike cleaner/ washing up liquid with a 2 1/2" paintbrush. For the drivetrain a tub with degreaser in it and an old 1 1/2" paintbrush.

Rinse off with the hose on a reasonably gentle spray, and then the coup de gras - I dry the bike completely with a pet dryer. An absolutely brilliant purchase for about £50. It blows hot air (2 settings) under pressure and drives all the water out from every nook and cranny. The whole bike, including the drivetrain is bone dry after about 5 mins effort.

To finish off I use a car spray detailer and a micro fibre cloth on the frame/ forks/ bars/ stem/ seatpost/ hubs and rims (its disc braked), being careful not to spray near the discs. Having said that, my final act is to wipe the disc rotors with a folded piece of kitchen roll and isopropyl alcohol.

ibr17xvii replied to Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
0 likes

Pilot Pete wrote:

I've never felt the need for a pressure washer to clean my bicycles. I do own one but it never goes anywhere near my bikes.

I simply use a hose pipe and a tub of bike cleaner/ washing up liquid with a 2 1/2" paintbrush. For the drivetrain a tub with degreaser in it and an old 1 1/2" paintbrush.

Rinse off with the hose on a reasonably gentle spray, and then the coup de gras - I dry the bike completely with a pet dryer. An absolutely brilliant purchase for about £50. It blows hot air (2 settings) under pressure and drives all the water out from every nook and cranny. The whole bike, including the drivetrain is bone dry after about 5 mins effort.

To finish off I use a car spray detailer and a micro fibre cloth on the frame/ forks/ bars/ stem/ seatpost/ hubs and rims (its disc braked), being careful not to spray near the discs. Having said that, my final act is to wipe the disc rotors with a folded piece of kitchen roll and isopropyl alcohol.

Brilliant idea. I shall be investigating this further.

Pilot Pete replied to ibr17xvii | 3 years ago
2 likes

If you have mucky dogs, you can even buy it as a 'family' purchase which doesn't go down as a bike purchase! Winner, winner!

freetime101 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have the muc-off pressure washer - it's a fairly cheap pressure washer rebranded but with three different wands giving three different pressures. There's a low pressure "Bicycle" one, a medium "Motorbike" and a full pressure one. plus the snow foam one...

Many mid level pressure washers allow you to turn the pressure down which does the same thing....

It was bought as a christmas present for the MTB as it gets very muddy after every ride... I do like the snow foam attachment! TBH I just use the garden hose on the road bike as a cba getting the pressure washer out each time...

Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
0 likes

I paid £45 for a mobi V-15 (DC car socket) once I'd made the decision where I wanted to plug it in.  At 135psi it certainly cleans the bike and would clean the car - if refilled - 15 litres lasts 7 minutes (so circa 2 lts/min).

To put it in perspective the Muc Off is 1450 psi and uses 6.5 ltr/min.... Different animal, mains powered, and would definitely clean the patio.   

Welsh boy | 3 years ago
6 likes

If you wait a week or two there will probably be a gravel jet washer out to fill that little need you didn't know you had

freetime101 replied to Welsh boy | 3 years ago
2 likes

You jest... but Muc-Off have a Ebike specific range... 

https://muc-off.com/blogs/articles/muc-off-launch-ebike-specific-range

Simon E replied to freetime101 | 3 years ago
1 like

Freetime101 wrote:

You jest... but Muc-Off have a Ebike specific range... 

https://muc-off.com/blogs/articles/muc-off-launch-ebike-specific-range

What a relief to see there is now hugely overpriced Ebike-specific washing-up liquid!

And condition-specific Ebike chain lubes, one for each kind of weather you are likely to encounter in the UK. Wahey!

Welsh boy replied to freetime101 | 3 years ago
6 likes

I do really hope that they bring out a range for red bikes, my best bike is really unhappy with me washing it with the same stuff as I use on my black winter bike.

ktache | 3 years ago
1 like

The TV advert for the Worx battery pressure washer has tempted me.

As I understand it a powerful pressure washer can force water past seals, carrying grime with it.  My pedals life was seriously reduced by testing how waterproof my 5 10 winter shoes were (answer, the upper very, the tongue not quite so much).

But then, I kind of like my bike to be a bit dirty (drivetrain as clean as possible though) as it might be slightly less appealing to the scrotes.

0-0 replied to ktache | 3 years ago
2 likes
ktache wrote:

The TV advert for the Worx battery pressure washer has tempted me.

As I understand it a powerful pressure washer can force water past seals, carrying grime with it.  My pedals life was seriously reduced by testing how waterproof my 5 10 winter shoes were (answer, the upper very, the tongue not quite so much).

But then, I kind of like my bike to be a bit dirty (drivetrain as clean as possible though) as it might be slightly less appealing to the scrotes.

I've got one of those Worx Hydroshot pressure washers for my bike, it's excellent.
I got a version similar to the "full kit" variant, from Amazon Warehouse. But mine has two batteries with it.
I mainly use it on my bike from a bucket (and pop bottle), but I've used it on a car and tested it on patio stonework.
The batteries last a long time (maybe 5 or 6 full bike washers rinse/soap/rinse), and they usually take about 2 hours to charge (from memory).

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
1 like

I bought a garden sprayer for use as a bike washer - it's a manually operated pump so it's low power and portable.

However, I found that it's easier to just use a bucket and some old sponges.

60kg lean keen ... replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have used a garden spray bottle for a few years now, yes it not as powerfull as a full on battery washer but if gets the job done. I still use hot soapy water and soft brush for the main wash but I soak / blast the worst off. and rinse the soap  away with it. If I had the cash then yes a Worx hydroshot or Borsh Founts would be on top of my list.

andystow replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've also used a garden sprayer. I'm looking at battery pressure washers so I can more easily wash my bikes occasionally in winter, which with all the road salt is the time of year they most need regular washing. It's a real pain to do inside, and where I live it's well below freezing much of the time, so I can't use my outside hose to do it as in the summer.

I'd like something ready to go (no time spent pumping the garden sprayer) where I can just fill a bucket at the sink with warm water. Ideally it would have a soap dispenser so I could switch from wash to rinse at the flick of a switch. I want to just be able to blast everything off in under a minute, then roll the bike into the garage, which is at least above freezing on all but the coldest days, to dry.

Capt Sisko | 3 years ago
2 likes

I have Ryobi battery pressure washer (https://uk.ryobitools.eu/garden-tools/pressure-washers/ry18pw22a/ry18pw2...) for my bicycle and motorcycle and for those two it's perfect. It light, portable and powerful enough to get the dirt off, but not so powerful it'll damage bearing seals or get water deep into the electrics, however car and patio cleaning powerful it isn't. I've got the full plug in jobbie for that and there's just no comparison.

Latest Comments