Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bike

I've got a Btwin Ultra AF920 currently, but I'm looking to switch to a more future-proofed bike in the future by having something that is a bit more comfortable and has discs so I can commute for about 15 miles each way to my school too.

I'm thinking of spending up to about £2000 - what would the best bike be that I could get that's lightweight, comfortable, disc brakes and good for commuting and also taking out for rides on the weekend? I'm happy to build something if that's a better option (looked at Trek Emonda ALR disc frame and also Genesis Zero Disc SL frameset).

Used is also an option that I'm willing to look at, though I'd probably want to spend around £1500ish to try and customise some components on it. If there are any good options people would recommend let me know!

Alex

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

Mason Resolution would be my vote, though 2k means it would be a used one. It is the best bike I've ever owned, including an Emonda SLR and a Giant TCR.

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've got a Genesis Zero Disc and it's great, but you need to consider a couple of things. Firstly, it's got quite a "racy" geometry which may or may not be what you want for commuting and secondly it doesn't have mudguard mounts.

alex_velo replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

How is the feel of it? I don't mind a "racy" geometry - I believe the geometry of my current one is based off a bike the U19 AG2R team use and it matches closely with with I've got, it's more about the ride quality that I'd be interested in. No mudguard mounts isn't a killer - I can always get SKS Raceblades I imagine

hawkinspeter replied to alex_velo | 3 years ago
0 likes

It feels superb - I've got 28mm tubeless tyres and they really smooth out the ride. It's very nimble, but I can certainly clip the front wheel with my foot if I'm going really slow and turning (never happens with normal riding).

I did try some clip-on mudguards but didn't find them that great as they were a bit too short to make a huge amount of difference. I recommend using some helicopter tape on the forks to protect them from the mudguards gradually wearing away at the finish as they flex and move slightly. I try to not do any long rides when it's raining, so I just don't bother with mudguards now.

OnYerBike replied to alex_velo | 3 years ago
0 likes

I would definitely aim to get "proper" mudguards - even the best clip on ones are no match!

That said, there are plenty of options out there that do have mudguard eyelets, so this shouldn't narrow your options much. There's less choice if you want a super light race bike, but even so there are some (e.g. anything on this list https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/16-best-mudguard-compatible-carbon-...).

You say you want comfort, but also light and racey? Do you want mounts for racks/panniers?

I would probably be looking somewhere in the middle of the spectrum from race bikes to adventure bikes. Bikes that spring to mind are Ribble CGR (or Endurance?), Condor Fratello, Giant Defy Advanced 3, PlanetX Hurricane, maybe Cannondale CAAD13 if you want something more towards the racey end.

jacknorell | 3 years ago
0 likes

Unless you've got very secure bike parking at your school, that bike will last days before being nicked. If you're lucky. Use a beater for riding to school!

alex_velo replied to jacknorell | 3 years ago
0 likes

It's a village primary school that I work at - I can store it either locked in the bike shed which I can see from my room or next to my desk, so I'm not too worried about being at the school with it!

the little onion | 3 years ago
1 like

If it's commuting in the UK, get something with 'proper' mudguard capabilities (eyelets, not clip-ons). 

I'm in the same dilemna. I'm looking at Bowman, Fairlight Strael, Kinesis 4s. All of these are available as frameset only, if you want to build your own.

alex_velo replied to the little onion | 3 years ago
0 likes

Good point - I hadn't really thought about that.

I've heard about all of those - though I'm not sure which is best. As far as I can tell they all seem good quality, though I've a mate with a Palace R who says it's his best bike he's owned (including some £5000 bikes)

the little onion replied to alex_velo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Palace won't take mudguards, but the Bowman Weald does look very tasty

Latest Comments