Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bike delivery: what to check

I am about to receive a new road bike bought off the internet (Merlin Cycles). What checks should I do before I take it off for its first ride? I have heard horror stories of poorly assembled bikes.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

chocim | 3 years ago
0 likes

Check whether derailleur limit screws are properly set - you do not want the chain to come off the cassette or chainring on your first ride. Canyon sent me a Di2 bike without properly setting the H screw on the rear derailleur and the chain scratched the frame as a result, but this can be avoided if you check beforehand.

jacknorell | 3 years ago
0 likes

Check headset. Is there a 5mm spacer above the stem? Was missing in delivery on both my latest bikes and needed fixing.

Sriracha replied to jacknorell | 3 years ago
0 likes

Surely you don't have to have a spacer above the stem. You just need whatever the top cap bears down on (stem or spacer) to be a few mm clear (above) the end of the steerer tube. That will be governed by the total height of stem plus spacers. Which one is on top does not matter.

ChasP replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
0 likes

Not essential but good practice as otherwise the stem overhangs the steerer tube reducing the clamping area.

kil0ran | 3 years ago
0 likes

Undo and re-tighten both quick releases.

If it's a rim brake bike check that the quick release lever on the caliper is closed

Check the brakes and brake shoe alignment with the wheel.

Check spoke tension (just pluck each one like you would a guitar string - they should all be more or less the same tension). It's not uncommon for factory-built wheels to go out of tension.

Check the gears shift smoothly (best done on a ride unless you have a repair stand or a way of getting the back wheel off the ground that doesn't involve turning the bike upside down)

Check for play in the handlebars to stem, and also in the headset bearings.

Check saddle adjustment bolts are done up and there's no play in the saddle

wtjs | 3 years ago
1 like

I was a horror-story victim! About a year ago last May, I ordered my first ever off-the-shelf, off-the-internet bike from Planet-X. It was instantly obvious on arrival that the crank axle was loose. All the ticks were there on the inspection form, but obviously they hadn't been done. I had quite a lot of trouble getting the money back with lots of 'your Visa refund is being processed'. Eventually, Visa paid the last £50 itself! The company tried to deduct that because I wouldn't accept the bike being 'fixed' and returned. It transpired that they had installed 2 drive side outboard bearings- on that SRAM set the axle changes calibre and is larger on the drive side- that was why it was wobbling grossly on the non-drive side. Since they installed a wrong-thread bearing, they must have just forced it on with some power driver. No wonder I wouldn't accept a repair- some poor sucker must have been lumbered with it. I was then very reluctant to get another internet bike, but eventually took the plunge with a Vitus Substance Gravel from Chain Reaction because they had always been very good. It was perfectly prepared and is the best general bike I have ever had. So take heart- yours will probably be fine!

DrG82 replied to wtjs | 3 years ago
1 like

Was the BB threaded or push fit? I really can't see how you could fit a threaded BB cup in the wrong side because the threads are the total opposite. If it was a push fit then it wouldn't have hurt the frame to tap out the wrong cup and replace it.

wtjs replied to DrG82 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Was the BB threaded or push fit?

Threaded. You would think its impossible, but they did it! Interestingly, I was sent the replacement SRAM BB bearings by mistake, instead of them going to the Planet-X workshop, so I know what they're like. I declined to send them to the company after the way they behaved, so I still have them, although they're no use to me- that was a SRAM 11 single, and the Vitus is a 9 double. When I got the bike I easily located the wobble to the non-fixed cup, and at first I thought it was going to be a simple job to sort out myself. However the bearing wasn't loose and amazingly it was on square and looked normal. I couldn't shift it and was conscious I was going to have to send it back, so I didn't want want marks or scratches being blamed on me. It was cosmetically perfect! Even if it had been a push fit (I wouldn't have bought a bike with push-fit- I've never had one, but BB noises can be bad enough even with 'proper' kit) I wouldn't have kept the bike- if someone could make a pig's ear like that and not notice a crank mega-wobble, goodness knows what other assembly disasters lurked.

bobbinogs | 3 years ago
0 likes

Merlin are a decent bunch so don't fret too much and just cover the basics. Don't go mad with an allen key unless you have a good idea of the right torque. I think many beginners cause problems by getting a bit carried away with tightening things until they hear a crack...and then backing off one turn!
Check things like brake alignment and clearance, bar setup, tyre pressures, etc. The seat will need adjusting, etc. Finally, just be sensible on the first ride out, so an easy 5 miler, preferably flat with a few shakedowns as your confidence grows. Don't be surprised if the gearing needs a tweak...and don't be afraid to ask Merlin if there is anything that they have left to the rider.
Chill, get to know your bike...and then give it a damn good thrashing 👍

Latest Comments