Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Carbon Wheel options for a Mason Definition

Hi all.

I am looking to purchase some carbon wheels for my Mason Definition. Funds are limited and they need to be lightweight as I'll be using them at this years l'etape du tour.

I am considering the following wheelsets.
Hunt 35 Carbon Aero £700
Parcours Ronde £1100

Has anyone tried these or have an opinion?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Richbeck | 2 years ago
1 like

Go hand-built- speak to David at DCR Wheels - you won't buy anything else ever again!

Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

I really wouldn't bother with the Hunt 35's.  You save 109g & £100 over the Aerodynamiscist 44's but lose out massively in aero on the flats and downhills.  You'll only be doing L'Etape once and 100g is about 1/6 of a water bottle.

I have a set of the mixed 44/54's and I would recommend them.

The 44/54's have one of the loudest freehubs I own louder than my 2 other Hunts (even if alledgely the same sprint hubs).   Almost as loud as my Hope MTB's.

You can mute it with a blob of grease apparently.

sparrowlegs replied to Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
1 like

Yep, I used some thick grease in there and they are nowhere near as loud now.

OnYerBike | 2 years ago
0 likes

I would add the Vel RSL2 to the running - primarily because they come with DT Swiss 240 hubs rather than the "own brand" hubs supplied with the other wheels.

Maybe I'm unduly skeptical of the own brand hubs (I believe they are produced by well established hub manufacturers such as NovaTec and Bitex before being re-badged) but personally I have greater confidence in both the reliability and the repairability of branded hubs. 

sparrowlegs replied to OnYerBike | 2 years ago
0 likes

Good shout. Although I haven't had any issues with any of the Hunt or Scribe hubs (the scribe rear hub is remarkably like the DT Swiss system) I'd happily accept the 240s if the price was similar. 

zeeridesbikes | 2 years ago
0 likes

I've got the hunt aero wide 50's too and they're great for the money but the freewheel is insanely loud. I've had them on my canyon endurace for 2 years now and had zero issues. 

jannerman replied to zeeridesbikes | 2 years ago
0 likes

I think as 50 might be a little to deep for the alps and the hills of Devon but I'll check out the reviews as they do look like a lovely wheelset.

sparrowlegs | 2 years ago
0 likes

If you want lightweight, stiff, excellent value and bombproof build then I suggest looking at Scribe wheels. 
I have Hunt limitless 48, limitless 60 and Scribe Aero Wide+ 50. I prefer the looks and performance of the Hunt wheels over the Scribes but the Scribes more than punch above their weight for the price. 

jannerman replied to sparrowlegs | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the scribe shout.  Looks like they have some suppply issues so I do'n't think they'll be available for the l'etape.  Shame as the 42 Elan looks lovely.  

Latest Comments