Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pannier rack on carbon CX bike.

Planning on using my carbon CX bike for a 2-day trip with an overnight stop, so need to get a small amount of luggage on it. I've done it before with an older carbon bike, using the following bits with a 13l dry bag on top:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Blackburn-Expedition-1-Disc-Compatible-Rear-Pan...
and
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.M-Part-Seat-Clamp-With-Rack-Mount_91949.htm

However, that bike had alu rear drop-outs and I think my CX one has carbon ones.

It's mostly a road route, but with a bit of light gravel/fire road type thing.

Am I going to knacker my frame with this setup? I don't think so, but just to check...

I'll also be using a small bar bag, but the bars and stem are alu, so no problem there.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Sriracha | 2 years ago
0 likes

By the look of that rack the load is taken directly on QR skewer, thence the wheel hub. So no forces on the drop out at all.

As an aside, I note the "disc compatibility" which always makes me smile, since chainstay mounted disc calipers in no way interfere with the rack anyway. Its been a while since I saw seat stay mounted discs that would necessitate a "disc compatible" rack. Mind you, back in 1975, it would have made sense.
https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/ex-1-disc-read-bike-rack/3501700002000...

LastBoyScout replied to Sriracha | 2 years ago
0 likes

Yes, I'm probably being over-cautious.

Both my mountain bikes have chainstay mounted calipers, but my other rack "just" clears it on the frame with eyelets - depends a bit on which caliper you have, I think.

EddyBerckx | 2 years ago
0 likes

You might be better off just using a large saddle bag (13 litres and above are not uncommon these days for touring) and junk the pannier idea? You could also attach a frame bag for extra bits...

...and if you're feeling flush get a tailfin rack and bag setup (which are designed for carbon race bikes with no mounts - but are at the high end price wise so only useful if you're gonna get regular use out of it

LastBoyScout replied to EddyBerckx | 2 years ago
0 likes

Trying to keep costs down and re-use what I've already got.

I also think the saddle bag idea is unstable, too high up and awkward to pack, due to shape - although I'm prepared to give it a go if I see the matching one for my bar bag at a reasonable price. Even on eBay, they are going for a lot of money.

I've got a frame bag, but it doesn't fit this frame very well - too long for the top tube and, as I said, not that keen on buying more kit.

Tailfin are nice, but way out of budget for my occasional needs - even the alloy ones.

Sriracha replied to LastBoyScout | 2 years ago
1 like

In any case, I don't see what the tailfin achieves in terms of load distribution that is not achieved by your existing Blackburn rack. Both put the load on the axle. Given that the Blackburn was designed in 1975, I'd say that put them ahead of the curve as well.

jaysa replied to EddyBerckx | 2 years ago
0 likes

Used a traditional saddle bag on a carbon bike some years ago on a 950 mile trip in Scotland. Worked fine, handling was no problem, even bunny hopped a cattle grid at 50mph. Only difficulty was hanging it so that it didnt hit my legs.

Try one off ebay and resell if you don't like it - It's a cheap solution.

Latest Comments