Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Paris Roubaix Sportive Cancelled - no refunds!

Like many, I'd been training hard for the Paris Roubaix Sportive coming up in April. No surprise it's been cancelled given everything else going on right now and they sent out an email to add the registered riders 2 weeks ago; but since then nothing more from them in terms of rescheduling or refunds.

So I emailed them this morning and their reply is pretty poor.

"The Organizer in agreement with the International Cycling Union had no choice to postpone the event, refunds are not possible.
The General Terms state that the event can be cancelled due to a case of force majeure affecting the Organiser. This is exactly what happened. "

Our group had taken both the entry and bike hire options from them (approx €350 each)

Has anyone else reached out to them? Even the local hotel has given our group a full refund (and we book with a non-flexible rate which stated no refunds)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

bobbypuk | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'd expect to lose the entry fee but thats only about 40EUR. IMO the bike hire should be refunded though, if not then your CC company may be able to help, they have not delivered a hire bike.

IanEdward | 4 years ago
3 likes

I'm not actually too surprised, I think all these event organisers work to really tight margins, would probably fold if they refunded everyone and as we're learning, nobody's insurance covers things like global pandemics...

I'd actually applied already for a refund due to having surgery on my back in December. I had taken out cancellation insurance but they still made me jump through hoops and apparently can take up until two weeks after the event to process my refund! Not expecting anything now...

TheFatAndTheFurious replied to IanEdward | 4 years ago
0 likes

Not much consolation, but maybe a bit of ammo: the Ariegeoise sportive was cancelled this week. They have offered either a full refund, or allowing you to carry your entry over to the 2021 edition at no extra cost. However, they have up front declared that the 2021 fees will be €10 higher than for 2020 to backfill the gap left by this year's cancellation.

The Ariegeoise is a big event, typically getting 5000 entries, so it's no small event and I can't think of any better offer that they could have made.

fennesz replied to TheFatAndTheFurious | 4 years ago
0 likes

The Héraultaise sportive did the same i.e. offered to move entries to 2021.

jigr69 replied to fennesz | 4 years ago
1 like

The Velo Birmingham and Midlands have cancelled their event in June, offered no refunds nor would move entries onto the 2021 event. Even if you paid for fast track entry which is a premium over the standard fee (this covers them sending the numbers and goodies out to you, as opposed to you collecting the day before), they aren't even refunding that element of the entry fee.

In an email they sent to myself, they've explained that all of the current entries have just about covered the expenses paid out already, therefore there isn't any money to refund people. Nor will there be a 2021 event, so moving people onto that is impossible.

Latest Comments