Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pass pixi, magnets, and laptops

I'm looking to stick some Pass Pixi signs on my pannier. My only worry is that the magnets are extremely powerful, and I carrier a laptop, and sometimes a phone, in my pannier. Is there any risk to the phone or laptop from the magnets? Has anyone got experience of Pass Pixi in close contact to laptops?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Bigtwin | 2 months ago
0 likes

I used Evostick.

hawkinspeter | 10 months ago
1 like

Generally you need super strength magnets (e.g. neodymium) to cause harm to modern electronics. They're the kind of magnets used inside old spinning rust hard drives - I've got a couple that I scavenged from old hard drives and use them as fridge magnets, but you really need two hands to remove them as they're that strong. I doubt that Pass Pixi uses super strength magnets, so you should be okay. If in doubt, you could try wrapping the device in aluminium foil.

Hirsute replied to hawkinspeter | 10 months ago
6 likes

//cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1365/2497/files/12774-TinFoilHat-May-Move02_large.gif?v=1522242600)

hawkinspeter replied to Hirsute | 10 months ago
7 likes

Are GIFs supported now? I'm sure they didn't work previously.

//media.giphy.com/media/l0IybQ6l8nfKjxQv6/giphy.gif)

2 likes

I had no idea it was a gif, it looked like a jpg/PNG on an image search.
Probably a wrong server setting so mum's the word !

HoarseMann replied to hawkinspeter | 10 months ago
1 like

ooh, let's try uploading a gif...

(ah, doesn't work - maybe it works for gifs hosted off the site)

3 likes

Site is now doomed.
Will be overrun with GIFs
Please tell me there is no full stop gif !

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 2 months ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Are GIFs supported now? I'm sure they didn't work previously.

//media.giphy.com/media/l0IybQ6l8nfKjxQv6/giphy.gif)

I can't tell if that squirrel is happy/dancing or is about to go for the camera holder's throat…

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 2 months ago
1 like

brooksby wrote:

I can't tell if that squirrel is happy/dancing or is about to go for the camera holder's throat…

Why not all of the above?

stonojnr | 10 months ago
1 like

I know it comes with dire warnings about their super strength magnets, but they aren't that bad imo. I carry my laptop, phone even bank cards, though I keep those furthest away from them,in my panniers with a pass pixi on and its been no bother after about a year so far.

My laptop is solid state, but I wouldn't have any concerns about carrying a standard hard drive one either.

Rendel Harris | 10 months ago
1 like

My iPhone sits in the rear pocket of my jersey or jacket directly behind the PassPixi magnets, occasionally sticking to them, and it shows no sign of any ill effects. I'd guess the same would aply to a laptop, probably more so given the relative thicknesses of the outer body.

HoarseMann | 10 months ago
3 likes

Magnets used to be a problem when laptops had hard drives, but these days all storage on phones and laptops is solid state, which is unlikely to be affected.

In fact, phones and laptops often have strong magnets in them - newer iphones have magnets for the magsafe wireless charger and attaching accessories.

Even then, if you did have a hard drive in your laptop, I'd be more worried about vibration damaging it.

Latest Comments