Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Points on licence for cycling offence

Morning all,

I was hoping someone could kindly clear a rather confusing matter for me on behalf of a friend (I know everyone says that but it's true!). Mate was cycling to work last week when he ran a red light (usual excuses, long straight empty road, person who'd pushed the pelican button had already crossed - he's been told off) with a police car directly behind him. Stopped, quite correctly bollocked and told he'll be getting a fine in the post. Letter arrived yesterday (see relevant section below) with an FPN of £100 and three points on his licence. He's happy to put his hands up and pay the fine, but I thought - and every online source seems to agree - that you can't be pointed for offences on a bicycle? Does anyone have any idea if this is permitted?

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
5 likes

Just to update this, mate has just got back from visiting his homeland in New Zealand and found that the police have admitted their mistake, refunded the fine he had already paid and will not be putting points on his licence. They don't seem to be interested in his offer to pay for the actual offence, which he would've been happy to do...

Many thanks for all the advice and clarifications offered, they were very useful in composing the letter which produced this outcome.

mark1a replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
6 likes

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how you your mate had got on with this 😜

Rendel Harris replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
2 likes

mark1a wrote:

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how you your mate had got on with this 😜

wtjs | 1 year ago
1 like

I'm amazed at the placid acceptance of police double (at least!) standards on here. Cyclist goes through red light and it's 'we'll throw the book at you, you red light running cyclist b******!'. Driver goes through a red light and the police (in Lancashire, anyway) just ignore it and social media comments of 'everybody does it' are generally accepted. '40 tonne tipper at 50 mph through red light? That'll do nicely, sir and ... mind how you go'. We have just seen a thread where the Filth responded to a driver passing a light at red with 'what about cyclists going through red lights, then'. I'm putting this on here again because it shows the point, but I have HD video of loads more RLJs ignored by Lancashire Constabulary, including one where the van had no MOT. This is the scene when the lights turned red, before Audi Q5 T90 JDT crashed through them at 40-50 mph, towing a large caravan

Mungecrundle | 1 year ago
11 likes

This sounds like one for Beelzebub himself.

jaymack replied to Mungecrundle | 1 year ago
2 likes

I suspect that the Met' will probably fall foul of the the fact that there'll be a deadline for the issuance of a fixed period penalty notice for a s.36 offence - crossing a stop line on a red light. The time limit may well be 'your friends' best friend

Rendel Harris replied to jaymack | 1 year ago
2 likes

Yes I was wondering whether we should delay replying until the sell-by date to issue a new ticket was past, but he (it isn't me, honest!) is going back to his native New Zealand for three weeks in August so would like it out of the way beforehand. Also, we're not trying to con anyone, he's put his hands up for the offence and is happy to pay the fine, but not double plus three points for an offence he hasn't committed.

HoarseMann | 1 year ago
9 likes

The officer has used the wrong offence code. They've booked them for this:

https://offencecode.uk/offence/drive-on-a-road-other-than-motorway-and-f...

When it should have been this:

https://offencecode.uk/offence/ride-a-pedal-cycle-on-a-road-fail-to-comp...

Should be £50 and no points. 

Rendel Harris replied to HoarseMann | 1 year ago
2 likes

Thanks that's very useful.

HoarseMann replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
3 likes

You're welcome and this was before my second coffee of the day too!

It's quite hard to find a list of fixed penalties that apply. What seems clear to me is the exact same offence is being committed (Sec. 36) whether in a car or on a bicycle. The ultimate penalty that can be given in court is £1000 and 3 points.

So it would seem that 3 points (and up to £1000 fine) could theoretically be handed out in court. However, it's unlikely a court would impose points on a cyclist or fine them as much as a driver; so the fixed penalties are different to reflect that. 

Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
0 likes

Letter:

mdavidford replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
3 likes

Looks like it may well be a pro forma that expects the vehicle to be a car - where it says PEDALCYCLE would be where the vehicle reg would go - and whoever issued it didn't pay enough attention to amend the penalty details.

IanMSpencer replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
1 like

It looks like the FPN is a standard one for motor vehicles and the policeman has simply pressed a button to produce it.

I think my starting point would be to check that the various statements made on it are all applicable to pedal cycles, e.g. the sections of law, do they apply to motorised vehicles? If there are errors due to the wrong notification being made then the NIP is invalid.

A Google suggests points cannot be given for cycling offences, including red light jumping being specifically mentioned by Cycling UK, but I would not rely on Google in court!

So my guess is that the NIP is invalid.

Rendel Harris replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks both, I think you're right, they've entered PEDALCYCLE as his reg number! Doubtless will take months to sort out...

IanMSpencer replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
1 like

Realised I didn't give the best advice - go to pepipoo.com and ask there - they will be helpful.

wycombewheeler replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
1 like

Rendel Harris wrote:

Letter:

what licence?  there is no pedal cycle licence.

Rendel Harris replied to wycombewheeler | 1 year ago
0 likes

Indeed, that's what set me to thinking there must be shome mishtake.

Beatnik69 replied to wycombewheeler | 1 year ago
0 likes

I may be wrong here, but I think that the court can award points which will be automatically added to your driving licence, should you ever apply for one. However, in this case, as others have pointed out it looks as if the police have used the wrong legislation and the offence shouldn't attract points. Hopefully, someone who knows more about the law will be able to say if this is correct, or not (also, I'm in Northern Ireland and our traffic laws are slightly different from mainland UK)

Secret_squirrel replied to Beatnik69 | 1 year ago
0 likes

You are correct - for road traffic offences where you don't hold a license - eg EScooters. 
Not for a bike though. 

Rendel Harris replied to Beatnik69 | 1 year ago
3 likes

Beatnik69 wrote:

I may be wrong here, but I think that the court can award points which will be automatically added to your driving licence, should you ever apply for one.

IANAL but pretty sure that isn't the case, there is no cycling offence that can have penalty points imposed. What a court can do is suspend or indeed remove your driving licence for a cycle offence if it's sufficiently serious, or if you don't have a licence it can ban you from applying for one for a set period. 

Latest Comments