Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Praxis and Sram

Hi Guys
Apologies if this has been covered already but new to the forums.
After years away, I've managed to get hold of a Specialized Allez S Works DSW which I am building with SRAM Force 22. Due to inability to get a chainset (172.5, 52/36) and after much research I've taken the plunge and gone for a new Praxis Zayante Carbon Chainset 52/36 M30.
Praxis says to use a shimano, campag or kmc chain which am fine with. But already have a Force cassette PG1170.
In anyone's experience will this work OK with a kmc chain or best to use shimano?
I've heard sram chains don't play will with praxis....
Any advice from experience would be great, just not sure I want to mix too many brands in the drivetrain

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Joe Totale | 3 years ago
0 likes

11 speed is all pretty interchangable so go ahead and use a Shimano/SRAM/KMC chain. 

I had a bike with a proper mongrel groupset of Force derailleurs, Red shifters, FSA crank and a Shimano cassette and it all worked great with a Shimano chain. 

werics | 3 years ago
1 like

Personally, I have a Shimano chain on mine (Alba with the older version of their rings and the pant guard) and have no shifting, sucking, or retention issues. Never had issues with KMC (incl. on SRAM cogs) in the past, though I've no experience with their use on a Praxis chainset. My feeling is that you won't go wrong either way.

SRAM chains, on the other hand, have repeatedly disappointed me, both on shifting and wear. That latter seems backed by the FrictionFacts experiment; I'm unaware of any comparable public data on shift performance.

phil235finn replied to werics | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that and really interesting. Will look up the experiment you mention.
Funnily enough I was thinking of just running a shimano cassette and chain as have one in the garage, but wanted a straight through Force set up.
Now I've gt the Praxis I'm less bothered just interesting to see othera cross compatible set ups. Thanks again and really helpful

Stratman | 3 years ago
1 like

I'm not sure that it matters.  I've had a SRAM chainset, ultegra cassette and kmc chain with no trouble.  I've switched between kmc and Shimano chains depending what I can get.

phil235finn replied to Stratman | 3 years ago
0 likes

Brilliant thanks for the reply and for your experience too.
Looks like kmc is where I'll head for the chain. Thanks again

Latest Comments