Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Presta chucks

I hate the push on valve chucks typical on most track pumps.

A friend has the Lezyne ABS-2 twist-on pull-off, but it's discontinued. Birzman and Jako seem to do something similar. Does anyone have any experience with either?

Also looking at Chuckhead DX or Threadlock from Topeak, but very little info online. Anyone out there used either? Or any other favourites? I use inner tubes, so the valve core does not come out.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Hirsute | 2 years ago
0 likes

Do you not have a threaded valve and nut ?

Sriracha replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
0 likes

Not too sure I understand the question  2
It's a normal presta valve, but the core does not unscrew, it is one piece with the main shaft of the valve stem. So there is no risk of the core unscrewing with a screw on/off chuck.

Hirsute replied to Sriracha | 2 years ago
0 likes

I thught you didn't like it pushed the valve in.

What is it then that you hate about it?

Sriracha replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
0 likes
hirsute wrote:

I thught you didn't like it pushed the valve in.

What is it then that you hate about it?

Ah, I now understand your original question. Yes, my valve stem is threaded with a securing nut, as you see. I never said anything about pushing the valve in. I said I don't like push on valve chucks, I'm not saying it's a rational thing, just never liked them. Offends my mechanical sensitivities, that's just how it is. So I'm just interested in the other options.

wycombewheeler replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
2 likes

Quote:

I use inner tubes, so the valve core does not come out.

If only this was true, plenty of tubes come with removable cores, often not tightened up particularly well at the factory.

Nothing worse than replacing a tube and then have the screen on pump adapter removing the core once the tyre is inflated.

ktache | 2 years ago
2 likes

I know you have expressed your veiws on press on chucks, and the way they push the valve into the tyre as you attach them, and necessitate pushing the valve from the tyre side but I have enjoyed my Topeak Smartheads.

And you can get it shiny...

Sriracha replied to ktache | 2 years ago
0 likes

Hey, I'm never one to knock shiny! What else makes it a joy to use?

ktache replied to Sriracha | 2 years ago
1 like

It just works, using some form of "magic"" to know what valve you happen to be using.

I use Schraeder on my Getting to Work bike and Presta on my Good bike, with my new Ultimate Commuter is set up tubeless so Presta on that one.  No messing about, just push on, lever up and pump.  Have one on my carry round Master Blaster DX too, chuck only, no tube.  

It spookily knows...

Been using for 2 decades now, an internal part broke on my first (Joe Blow DeLux) but it still worked, got another, and last year or so I combined the two, for a "perfect" setup.  Still kept working with broken internals too, but not quite so well.

Next replacement gets me the above shiny.

Just had a look and it gets a pressure release too.  If only the pressure gauge on the track pump was accurate, I have to use my Topeak SmartGauge D2.

I think Topeak make incredible pumping stuff.  Got a Lezyne Micro Floor HV, looks so flash, wish I'd gone for the Topeak version...

Spangly Shiny | 2 years ago
1 like

I have a Lezyne Steel Floor Drive which has a reversible screw on-chuck like this: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-floor-pump-hp-road-abs-flip-chuck

Not quite as elegant as the ABS-2 but very serviceable nevertheless.

Sriracha replied to Spangly Shiny | 2 years ago
0 likes

They discontinued the ABS-2 for some reason, not sure why. From the naming I'd assumed it was 1 up on the ABS-1, which soldiers on. I take it that the ABS-1 is a straight forward screw on, screw off?

Latest Comments