Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

The Real Highway Code

There is the published Highway Code, but after some years, we all realise that there is a real Highway Code that is shared between drivers.

I think it is important for safety that the true highway code is properly documented.

Perhaps you can help.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

65 comments

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
3 likes

Beware of regional variations in parking rules.

For example, double red lines indicate parking is only allowed if two parallel lines of cars or vans are present in Sparkbrook.

In other parts of the country they mean parking not permitted if someone spots a policeman or council parking warden (aka snitch, waste of space).

If someone is seen parking on double red lines, and this causes you a delay or the exertion of changing lanes on a dual carriageway, you MUST comment to your passenger or the world in general that "There is never a policeman or traffic warden around when you need one. What do I pay my RoAD tAX for?"*

*See also "Some bastard has parked on the road outside my house."

ShutTheFrontDawes | 1 year ago
0 likes

I have a serious one now, sorry folks. I was going to do a revision of rule 239 (parking), but I've just realised it says:
"Before using a hand-held device to help you to park, you MUST make sure it is safe to do so. Then, you should move the vehicle into the parking space in the safest way, and by the shortest route possible.

When you use a hand-held device to help you to park, you MUST remain in control of the vehicle at all times. Do not use the hand-held device for anything else while you are using it to help you park, and do not put anyone in danger. Use the hand-held device according to the manufacturer’s instructions"

WTAF is this "hand-held device to help you to park"?!

I've been using my mirrors and steering wheel all this time. Have I been doing it wrong?!

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
2 likes

If you have just overtaken a cyclist at or approaching traffic lights and the lights are at red, you MUST:

* drive into the ASL and a bit further to make sure the bastard can't get in front again.

* If no ASL is available or you are further back in the queue, wedge your tyres firmly against the kerb to make sure there is no room for the little bastard to squeeze through. You should ignore any cycle lane markings for this manoeuvre.

wycombewheeler | 1 year ago
6 likes

Pavement parking

a single yellow line denotes that motor vehicles should be parked with two wheels on the pavement and two wheels on the road, while a double yellow line denotes that all four wheels should be on the pavement before leaving the vehicle.

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
1 like

(Inspired by jollygoodvelo)

256 Use of SatNav

Any directions given on a SatNav override any signage you may see carelessly dotted around the sides of the road (e.g. speed limits, one way streets, no U-turns, no right turns, closed roads, cyclists, ignore SatNav signs, maximum height signs for HGV drivers) regardless of when the SatNav was last updated.

If directed by a SatNav to make a turn and you happen to be in the wrong lane, it is best to make a quick dive across other traffic without signalling to avoid inconveniencing them. If your SatNav is slow to update, weave randomly from lane to lane until it has caught up.

If you miscount your exits on a rouandabout, and are about to exit early, you may swerve violently back onto the roundabout without cancelling any indicators, remembering that any entering traffic must give way to the right and should be accounting for any bizarre driving that other road users make, so it is all their fault if you crash.

When fitting a SatNav to the windscreen ensure it is fitted close to your line of vision to avoid you needing to take your eyes off the road. Taxi drivers should consider fitting their fare meters and mobile phone holders in similar position to minimise the impact of any distractions.

If the SatNav falls off the windscreen, you MUST immediately retrieve it from the passenger footwell, have a good look around the car to locate it before taking both hands off the wheel for safety while you lean over and retrieve it.

ShutTheFrontDawes replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
3 likes
IanMSpencer wrote:

*See also "Some bastard has parked on the road outside my house."

Also known as " MY parking space".

JustTryingToGet... replied to ShutTheFrontDawes | 1 year ago
3 likes

ShutTheFrontDawes wrote:

I have a serious one now, sorry folks. I was going to do a revision of rule 239 (parking), but I've just realised it says: "Before using a hand-held device to help you to park, you MUST make sure it is safe to do so. Then, you should move the vehicle into the parking space in the safest way, and by the shortest route possible. When you use a hand-held device to help you to park, you MUST remain in control of the vehicle at all times. Do not use the hand-held device for anything else while you are using it to help you park, and do not put anyone in danger. Use the hand-held device according to the manufacturer’s instructions" WTAF is this "hand-held device to help you to park"?! I've been using my mirrors and steering wheel all this time. Have I been doing it wrong?!

I think that's where you phone a friend who is more competent than you to come and park the damn thing for you... a long long time ago a mate actually did that. 

chrisonabike replied to wycombewheeler | 1 year ago
0 likes

I find it sad how many people just don't know about this important yet underappreciated rule.  Only two people got it right on my street today (collage below taken at same time and stitched together).

quiff replied to ShutTheFrontDawes | 1 year ago
0 likes

In a similar vein, this is genuinely part of the HWC (albeit there are no cars currently meeting the definition):

While a self-driving vehicle is driving itself in a valid situation, you are not responsible for how it drives. You may turn your attention away from the road and you may also view content through the vehicle’s built-in infotainment apparatus, if available.

jollygoodvelo replied to quiff | 1 year ago
2 likes

I love that they've gone to the trouble of adding that for a vehicle that doesn't and may never exist, but haven't managed to stop people driving around at night with their sat-navs on full brightness right in front of their faces.

IanMSpencer replied to ShutTheFrontDawes | 1 year ago
1 like

Checking the legislation, it was amended in 2003.

(2) In regulation 110 (mobile telephones) after paragraph (5) insert—

“(5A) A person does not contravene a provision of this regulation if, at the time of the alleged contravention—

(a)that person is using the mobile telephone or other device only to perform a remote controlled parking function of the motor vehicle; and
(b)that mobile telephone or other device only enables the motor vehicle to move where the following conditions are satisfied—
(i)there is continuous activation of the remote control application of the telephone or device by the driver;
(ii)the signal between the motor vehicle and the telephone or the motor vehicle and the device, as appropriate, is maintained; and
(iii)the distance between the motor vehicle and the telephone or the motor vehicle and the device, as appropriate, is not more than 6 metres.”.

I know that we all bitch about motorists who don't know the Highway Code, but hands up who knew of this one?

ShutTheFrontDawes replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
2 likes

Exactly. What mobile phone and car combination exists where you can park your car using your mobile phone? And why on earth was it legislated for back in 2003?!

chrisonabike replied to ShutTheFrontDawes | 1 year ago
0 likes

Paging James Bond in 1997... (Apologies, one of the worst IMHO)

IanMSpencer replied to ShutTheFrontDawes | 1 year ago
2 likes

It was added to the HWC in 2018 (source The Sun!). Reading around it seems that BMW and others have been experimenting with last mile parking solutions (the UK seems to have settled on the last 6m as a compromise). Seeing how Tesla have progressed, that 6m might be optimistic.

I'm not 100% convinced on that 2003 date in legislation, I may have misread the reference on my phone, it seems too soon.

quiff replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
2 likes

The Sun is right(!) Reg 110(5A) re: handheld device parking was inserted by the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) Regulations 2018/592. The 2003 amendments were when Reg 110 (re: mobile phone use generally) was first inserted.  

IanMSpencer replied to quiff | 1 year ago
2 likes

I'm contemplating the psychological dmage of being less right than The Sun 

PRSboy replied to ShutTheFrontDawes | 1 year ago
0 likes

Fandangled Teslas etc can park themselves remotely via an app.

brooksby replied to PRSboy | 1 year ago
0 likes

PRSboy wrote:

Fandangled Teslas etc can park themselves remotely via an app.

They also have a special 'Audi mode' where they drive around like *&$!!%%@!

Spangly Shiny replied to ShutTheFrontDawes | 1 year ago
0 likes

Pump truck maybe?

brooksby | 1 year ago
5 likes

If a bicycle is the only vehicle stopped at a zebra crossing, you should just go around them.

ShutTheFrontDawes | 1 year ago
3 likes

Rule 224
Tyres, although fitted with grooves or 'tread' (mainly for manufacturing purposes) provide far better grip when the grooves have been worn away. To wear away the excess rubber effectively, you should accelerate and brake as hard as possible at all times. As a by-product, you should ignore speed limits and stopping distances as your tyres now provide better traction than Max Verstappen's.

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
6 likes

Cyclists are vulnerable road users. This means that they are unpredictable and dangerous and may kill you without warning. Therefore you MUST perform the Safety Overtake.

* If you see a cyclist ahead, accelerate firmly.

* To minimise the risk of being killed, maimed or injured by the cyclist, ensure you pass rapidly.

You may ignore:

- blind bends;

- street furniture;

- keep left signs on pedestrian refuges;

- oncoming traffic, including vulnerable road users;

- road markings such as SLOW and double white lines;

- speed limits;

- Junctions;

- Any hand signals the cyclist may give.

If there is insufficient space to pass, the cyclist is obliged to give way.

To make sure they are aware of your presence you MUST give a "safety toot" by pressing your horn for a minimum of 5 seconds, ideally immediately before passing.

If the cyclist is not riding in the gutter, you SHOULD direct them towards the edge of the road with a firm movement to the left as you pass. You may use pedestrian refuges and oncoming traffic to help you time this movement.

Be especially aware if a cyclist glances over their shoulder or gives a hand signal. This means that the cyclist is about to make an unpredictable move and you should make an extra effort to pass quickly.

In the event a cyclist shouts or gesticulates as you pass, you MUST:

* Make an emergency stop;

* Leap from your car and use the following phrases:

- "What's your problem, mate?"

- "Do you own all the road?"

- "Didn't you see I needed to get past?"

- "How am I supposed to see you with/without* hi-viz*, with/without* flashing/steady* lights*, in broad daylight/at night*, with/without helmet*"

- "You'll kill somebody riding like that."

- "It's not safe to be on the road, you should have been on the pavement/cycle lane**."

- "You don't pay RoAd tAX!!!*** It's my right of way."

This will educate all cyclists to be better road users in the future. We thank you for your service.

*Delete as appropriate

**Extra marks if neither of these exist in the vicinity of the incident.

***Bonus marks if used when driving an electric car.

chrisonabike | 1 year ago
5 likes

146 Adapt your driving to the appropriate type and condition of road you are on. In particular

- do not treat speed limits as a target. They are the bare minimum.  It is often not appropriate or safe to drive at less than the minimum speed limit because everyone else is doing it
- take the road and traffic conditions into account. Be prepared for unexpected or difficult situations, for example, it getting dark at night, or being a bit difficult to see things when it's foggy or you're looking towards the sun.  Unfortunately there is no way of anticipating or dealing with such situations in practice so be prepared to press on in the hope that you'll be able to see better in a bit and it'll all work out.
- the road being blocked beyond a blind bend.  Instruct a lawyer in advance if concerned.
- in side roads and country lanes look out for unmarked junctions where nobody has priority - it's a 50:50 so it's the other party's lookout
- be prepared to stop at traffic lights if a red light has become established
- there's no anticipating what pedestrians and cyclists might do. So don't.  They've had over a century to learn to avoid the motor vehicle.

chrisonabike | 1 year ago
2 likes

145 You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency *.

* Defined as "having your BOLAS on"; needing to get around another road user - especially a cyclist; when "justing" to just get a bit closer to a building e.g. to just make a delivery or get a coffee; or to park on the pavement / cycle path in whole or part so as to reduce the risk of ire from other motorists who might otherwise be inconvenienced.

Seventyone | 1 year ago
1 like

I thought I had posted this earlier but

If a person a bicycle is not using a lane provided for them at great expense from your hard earned road tax

1. The only possible reason for this is that they are deliberately out to spite you and slow you down with their lycra clad , tofu eating slow ways

2. As a result of 1. You are perfectly entitled to close pass them, intimidate them, hit them etc. After all they are deliberately in your way so rule no longer apply

In addition if you ever saw a person doing this once, you can apply 2 to all people on bikes in any situation as they are probably on their merry way to do this to someone else somewhere else as soons as possible.

Why else would anyone be on a bike but to show off their (entirely ) false moral superiority

Bikepool | 1 year ago
2 likes

If you are involved in an incident or collision you MUST maintain forward momentum whilst considering whether to stop or leg it.

Bikepool | 1 year ago
2 likes

If reprimanded by a cyclist for breaking a rule you MUST:

(*) Share your opinion on whether you think cyclists should ride two abreast.
(*) Inform the other party on your tax status.
(*) Drive off whilst shouting obscenities.
(*) Consider making obscene gestures whilst driving away.

Bikepool | 1 year ago
3 likes

When turning into a junction with two lanes you SHOULD:

(*) Take the racing line making sure to cut the corner.
(*) Ignore other road users.
(*) Use your horn to alert other road users of your entitlement.

Bikepool | 1 year ago
2 likes

On approaching a roundabout take notice and act on all the information available to you, including the assumed top speed of other road users. When reaching the roundabout you SHOULD quickly pull out in front of slower road users whilst looking straight at them.

Seventyone | 1 year ago
3 likes

If you have your BOLAs on you can perform any manoeuvre you like, including pulling out from where you have parked halfway onto the pavement in front of other road users, as you have clearly advertised you are a hazard so now it is everyone else's responsibility to stay out of your way. Mirrors are for losers anyway

Pages

Latest Comments