Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Recommendation for a road loop, Milford to Isle of Purbeck

Hey all, 

I know some of the roads around Bournemouth aren't very cycle friendly so I wondered if I could get a bit of local knowledge and get some ideas for a road based loop from Milford on Sea to the Isle of Purbeck with a stop in Swanage?  Maybe 70ish odd miles...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

peted76 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thank you both. 

I did wonder about heading NW on the way out.. I can't see a 'nice route' to get to and through Bournemouth.

I'll take a look and see what I can work out. Thanks again!

AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
0 likes

Can't judge on suitability, but Strava "popular" routing loop for paved roads is

Along coast to Christchurch, then  head NW to Wimborne Minster (although route takes you past Bournemouth Airport so watch out for caravans)
From there SW past Happy Bottom and Limberlost to Wareham.
Just past Wareham turn east along Arne Road then South when possible down to Corfe Castle.
From there a slight double back for Studland and New Road before dragging South to Swanage. 45 miles at this point. 
Return is North and use ferry then along coast back to base. Total is 70 miles with 2500ft climbing, which the majority of that is just outside Corfe Castle and Swanage. 

David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Not too many options for that one, I'm afraid. You'd have to avoid the July/August cycling ban on the B'mouth prom, which I think is until 6 pm. 

Latest Comments