Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Red light jumping statistics

So, I've commented on a Facebook post which was initially about dog walkers having to take a bit of care with their hounds, and a few messages in someone has then said about red light jumping cyclists.  I asked why he was trotting out the sad old cliche about rlj cyclists, and some other clown has quoted the article where coppers in Hackney targeted rlj-ing cyclists and caught 18 in a 90 minute period.  I am guessing this wasn't at 3 am, and there was no mention of other traffic offences they could have been addressing.

Anyway, I have tried to Google to get some stats on red light jumping, and almost every story is about cyclists.  I cannot get any figures for other vehicles, does anyone know where to look?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Mungecrundle | 1 year ago
2 likes

I personally do not RLJ beyond occasionally going beyond the stop line to put myself in clear view of the lead driver. My commute though is fairly suburban and I know the timings of every set of lights.

Whilst I don't condone RLJ by other cyclists, or those that hop onto the pavement at traffic light controlled junctions, I do see a world of difference between sneaking through on a bicycle at walking pace, maybe to turn left or when there are clearly no pedestrians and hammering through an orange / red at 30+ mph in a tonne and a half of car or even worse in a multi tonne truck.

The dozens of KSI incidents for pedestrians as victims over the years in the small town where I live involve, to my knowledge, none caused by cyclist.

chrisonabike replied to Mungecrundle | 1 year ago
0 likes

I think rich_cb was alluding to the rate e.g. there are few cyclists compared to cars but they hit people at red lights far more often than motorists.  That then has a bearing on how we design our infra (or "should we crack down on cyclists at lights"?)  I think someone else (Awavey? apologies if I have the wrong poster, can't recall) mentioned that there was some data on that.  That would be good to see.  I suspect the issue is that just a bald number (which is going to be small for cyclist / pedestrian collisions at lights compared to the motor vehicle one) won't help much with the all important "why"?  (e.g. if it was 10 incidents / year Sam the singlespeed scorcher and scofflaw in Southhampton could be causing a fair fraction of those... or maybe there are two or three really badly designed junctions in the midlands etc.)

mdavidford | 1 year ago
0 likes

A couple more links:

https://beyondthekerb.org.uk/laws-whos-breaking-what/

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-5555273/A-fifth-motoris...

Big caveats around the likely quality of the studies (a lot of self-reported data here for a start), but both suggest not much difference between those riding bikes and those driving motor vehicles

OnYerBike | 1 year ago
0 likes

It's not exactly comparable but this data table shows number of FPNs for offences - I believe red light jumping would fall under "817-819 Neglect of traffic signs and directions and of pedestrian rights." (93,400 FPNs in 2019).

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploa...

Although of course that data only shows the ones that were caught!

wtjs replied to OnYerBike | 1 year ago
2 likes

Although of course that data only shows the ones that were caught!
No, Lancashire Constabulary routinely ignores indisputable video evidence of red light offences by drivers, and they're presumably not the only bad cops who do this. So the statistics are worthless, and just show the ones the police didn't just ignore away

Daveyraveygravey | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks for the info guys, but it is all cyclist focused.  I am trying to find out if there are any figures for cars/lorries/buses/mopeds tc.

hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
2 likes
mdavidford replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
3 likes

My statistical nerves are twitching at that 'Most cyclists are angels' section. Just because in 84% of observations the signals were observed, doesn't mean that you can conclude that 84%, or even the majority, of cyclists don't ride through red lights. That would only be true if every individual had to either always go through them or always stop. If a different 16% went through each red light, then by the time they reached the third set about half of them would have done it.

Adam Sutton replied to mdavidford | 1 year ago
2 likes

London and probably other cities is a different beast. A colleague who cycles to work commented some time back how infuriating many London cyclists are for red light jumping and generally being dicks. I'm trying to cycle further in myself and have found the same while figuring out the route. Oddly also seeing a tendency it seems for some to cycle through a junction with lights for cyclists and stop in the junction. The lights change and I cycle past them because the can't see them 🤦🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

srchar replied to Adam Sutton | 1 year ago
0 likes

Adam Sutton wrote:

London and probably other cities is a different beast.

I wonder if this is due to sheer volume of vehicle traffic and the amount of risk-taking by London drivers in an attempt to make progress in a car. Traffic light grands prix are the norm, ASLs occupied by vehicles are the norm, and crossing multi-lane roads while traffic merges is common. Personally, I will RLJ if the ASL is occupied, there are no pedestrians crossing, and the way is clear, because it's safer. I don't really care how others perceive a behaviour that poses no risk to anyone else but increases my safety.

Now and then, I see other riders RLJ (or ignore a zebra) while a pedestrian is crossing. They might have broken the same rule as me (and the drivers of cars in the ASL) but I don't see any equivalence, as they've endangered a more vulnerable road user.

Adam Sutton replied to srchar | 1 year ago
0 likes

Bear in mind this was me figuring the route out on Sundays, so not so much traffic. Majority of instances were along CS3 with no traffic to contend with, often with lights that give priority to cyclists that do wait. A lot was through pedestrian crossings in tourist areas, one near Tower of London where a woman crossing passed comment as someone cycled through on red as she crossed.

chrisonabike replied to Adam Sutton | 1 year ago
2 likes

Adam Sutton wrote:

...often with lights that give priority to cyclists that do wait. ...

Do you mean an advanced green for cyclists?  Or do you mean lights with detectors which will switch to a cyclist phase as soon as they detect them?  Otherwise don't all lights give priority to anyone who waits until they're green - that being their purpose?

Latest Comments