Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Reduce stack ?

I've just bought a nice used Whyte Wessex and since found out their frame sizes come up about a size bigger than most other brands!

so now I'm wondering whether to keep or sell and get another one 

when I compare geometry via my current bike the stack height is 18mm higher (597 vs 579) 

I am planning on getting a bike fit done but don't want to spend £200 on this if in the end the bike size just isn't right 

the position is just too upright - the stem doesn't have any spacers so not sure if there's an easy way to reduce the stack height ?

Are there any other measurements other than reach and stack to help me decide if to keep it or not?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

bobbinogs | 3 years ago
0 likes

If it doesn't feel right then sell it now and save an unproductive 6 months fannying around until you come to the same conclusion.
Stack and reach are not everything, but as near as dammit..

kil0ran | 3 years ago
0 likes

Stack and reach are pretty much it, unless it has a particularly slack or steep seat angle as that can affect the position of the knee and hip in relation to the BB. Unfortunately it's easier to size a small frame up than a big one down but as other posters have said, check if the stem can be flipped 

Nick T | 3 years ago
1 like

Is there a cone shaped bearing cover on the top of the headset? If so you can swap for a low rise one and drop about 18mm

TheBillder | 3 years ago
1 like

How about a stem with negative rise (i.e. sloping down from the steerer to the bars)? You might even find the existing stem can be turned over.

You may also find that you could get a bit more effective reach with a longer stem, and whilst it's not the same as having the geometry that you really want, it might work.

Obviously don't go too extreme with either idea as the handling will change a bit.

FWIW the stack / reach ratio is my favourite measure of frame raciness. There's a lot more to that (e.g. chainstay length) but it gives a decent idea of how flexible you need to be, or how much it'll ask of your core and back.

Latest Comments