Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Reilly Gradient alternatives

Folks as above - seriously considering a Gradient purchase as a one-bike-to-rule-them-all, Road biased Adventure bike, but struggling for alternatives at a similar price point.

Best I can come up with are :
Ribble CGR Ti - but not as "sexy"
Sonder Camino Ti - but currently sold out
Laverack J.Ack - dearer

Anything else I should be considering? Maybe Planet X Tempest, but put off by the "budget" connotations. Anyone have real life experience?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

47 comments

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
2 likes

I ended up with a Gradient Frame in the end.  Delivered at the end of Nov and built up over Xmas.

Reilly were great to deal with, upgraded the fork to one with bottle bosses.  Think lead time was 8-10 weeks, but it turned up a week earlier than expected.   Also one day after my birthday.  Attached pic on its second outing, still tinkering a bit.

Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm a big fan of Mason, and when I went down there to test, one of the bikes I tested was a Definition with a SRAM 1x setup and 30mm Schwalbe G1 tyres. It wasn't ideal for what I was looking for, but I do remember getting off that bike and thinking 'if I wanted a bike for moderate road stuff and light gravel this would be it'. Yes, it's aluminium not titanium, but I reckon specced properly it would fit your requirements and price points very well.

Also consider Sonder, as mentioned. The physio I see for a nagging hamstring issue used to work for Movistar (so I'm guessing he knows what he's on about) recommended them very highly - a lot of bike for the money.

Secret_squirrel replied to Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

Sonder  are on the list but the Colibri  Ti has been out for months  

Im sure the mason is amazing but just not interested in Alu and the resolution is too close to my existing Strael  The downtube on the ISO offends me - makes it look like a hydroformed mainstream MTB.  I think the Mason Ti would be lovely but not exactly in bang for buck territory  

Recoveryride replied to Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

Fair enough dude. And a Bokeh ti is out of my price range too. Good luck with the search.

mostly | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm about to take a punt on the spectre, did you go for the gradient? I'm thinking of keeping my topstone for wide tyre malarkey.

Alex Brynner | 3 years ago
0 likes

Avoid Ribble CGT Ti, to be sure not to experience what I experienced : https://www.facebook.com/RibbleCycles/photos/a.454910090816/101575334571...

Secret_squirrel replied to Alex Brynner | 3 years ago
0 likes

Alex Brynner wrote:

Avoid Ribble CGT Ti, to be sure not to experience what I experienced : https://www.facebook.com/RibbleCycles/photos/a.454910090816/101575334571...

sorry dude your post makes no sense, neither does the link. 

Dingaling replied to Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

Avoid Ribble? And then gives a link to show what a great experience using that model is. cool

OnYerBike replied to Dingaling | 3 years ago
1 like

I suspect the link was intended to take you to one of the numerous comments below the main photo (specifically the one from Alex Brynner) - although several of the other comments are also fairly critical of Ribble's customer service.

Dingaling replied to OnYerBike | 3 years ago
1 like

I'm assuming you are right and I tried again but I cannot scroll down to the comments. I guess that is because I am not on FB.

OnYerBike replied to Dingaling | 3 years ago
1 like

Dingaling wrote:

I'm assuming you are right and I tried again but I cannot scroll down to the comments. I guess that is because I am not on FB.

Huh, I was able to view the comments without being logged in (you need to click "comments" rather than just scroll down). But in any case I've grabbed a screenshot.

For what it's worth I have no connection to Alex nor any personal experience of Ribble, just trying to help!

Secret_squirrel replied to OnYerBike | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the screenshot. I guess Alex's comments make sense given his experience. Not sure 1 bad case of packing warrants bad mouthing all over the internet - especially if it was refunded.   I personally am a happy prior Ribble customer and they recently answered my query on a 3 year old bike. I also have bent plenty of rotors in my time so wouldn't have reacted like Alex without further damage but each to their own. 

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

Very close to pulling the trigger on a Gradient, with a slight hesitation due to the Spectre.   Also have seen a drool fest I love but that most feel is a bit marmitey, which is a Wittson. Love the rear stays. Helps that I have a DeKerf MTB with a similar design. 
https://wittson.com/handmade-titanium-frames/titanium-gravel-frame-set-e...

My money no-object purchase would be a custom gravel bike from Chris DeKerf but that's fantasy bike territory  

AllegedlyAnthony replied to Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

Have you looked at Tom Sturdy's stuff? It cost more than off the peg but you get exactly what you want, it's unique and Tom's an absolute genius. Love mine...

matthewn5 | 3 years ago
1 like

Go stainless, not titanium. Reynolds 953 0r 931 is twice as strong as titanium, so you can build a lighter frame. Looks pretty well identical.

PpPete replied to matthewn5 | 3 years ago
1 like

Sorry matthewn5 but your statement cannot go unchallenged.  The 9xx Reynolds are certainly extremely strong but to make any sense you need to specify what titanium alloy you are referrring to.   Pure titanium can't even hold a candle to Reynolds 531.   Ti-3Al-2.5V is the most popular alloy for bikes (and indeed most other uses of titanium tube and is pretty damn strong.  Ti-6Al-4V will knock any steel you care to mention into a cocked hat. AFAIK only Enigma have ever really offered a frame made from that - but there may be others in the USA.

njblackadder replied to PpPete | 3 years ago
1 like

Hello PpPete. Afraid to say you are well wide of the mark regarding your comparison of Ti-6Al-4V with alloy steels. Ti-6Al-4V is generally stated to have a yield strength of around 850 - 900 MPa and UTS of around 950 - 1000 MPa. Reynolds state that 953 has a UTS of 1750 - 2000 MPa. Though I am unable to find figures for yield strength, the UTS suggests it will be at least 1500 MPa. Coupled with a 'stiffness' that is almost twice that of ANY titanium alloy, this makes 953 a good choice, in respect of mechanical properties, when compared with titanium.

I believe Litespeed used to make a frame in Ti-6Al-4V, but, like yourself, I am not sure who does so now.

Chris Hayes replied to njblackadder | 3 years ago
0 likes

I wonder whether yield strength and ultimate tensile strength are useful measures when you're comparing bike-frame materials: the shape of the tubing adds stiffness and spring / shock absorbsion where appropriate - absolute measures don't mean much (unless you're comparing Ti or high-grade steel to plasticine, obviously).

njblackadder replied to Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
1 like

Hello Chris. I think you may have missed the point. PpPete suggested that Ti-6Al-4V is stronger than any steel and I was merely pointing out that it isn't - not remotely in fact!! I think yield strength particularly can be a useful measure, for the simple reason that the stronger a material, the less is required. These comparisons often seem to end up being a bit iffy. You are correct in saying that the shape of the tube affects the properties of the structure, but what is applicable to one material is equally applicable to another (assuming both can be similarly shaped), hence, when comparing like with like, a steel tube (and therefore frame) will always be significantly stiffer than a titamium one. The titanium version will, of course, be lighter (once again, like for like).

matthewn5 replied to Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
0 likes

Sure, I should have said 'don't overlook stainless' if you're looking at titanium. But as for tube shaping, most of these bikes use round tubes, there's not much shaping going on with these very high strength steels and titanium alloys. The tuning comes from playing with the butting, tube diameters, geometry, and so on.

Chris Hayes replied to PpPete | 3 years ago
1 like

I have a Litespeed Vortex made of Ti-6Al-4V.  They come up on eBay from time-to-time, but are getting rarer.  Expensive bikes: I think the frame was in the £3000 range in 2003....have to say, the engineering on it is breathtaking: curved eliptical rearstays. diamond shaped tubing, and incredible welding. Great machine.  I would say that it was years ahead of its time... but they don't make bikes like this anymore...

davman | 3 years ago
2 likes

I have a Waltly titanium frame i bought direct from them in China. I had an earlier iteration of this bought through a guy who was on Ebay (Cielo Rosso) but this time i went direct to Waltly and ordered a revised frame

Love the frame: well made and comfortable as it as built specific to my requirements. Although it's only plain guage titanium, that doesn't seem to be a problem. Weight is 8.8Kgs

Am now waiting for a titanium adventure frame from Waltly to be finished and sent. This again is built to my requirements

Going with a complany like Waltly involves work on your part to design the frame; i simply took my Cielo Rosso as the start and tweaked it more. But Waltly have a good reputation and i've not had a problem with dealing with them

Simon

Zigster | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm in a similar place at the moment - thinking about a budget gravel bike (say a regular Camino) but that has muttated into a new bike altogether to replace my current bike  Wife has given permission to spend up to £5k.

I thought about a Bokeh (there is a Ti version but it's expensive).  Looked at other options like Strael and some of the big manufacturers' stuff.  Currently thinking the Reilly Spectre might just be perfect - road focused but get a fatter set of tyres if I do fancy a little off reading from time to time..

Reilly pricing seems a little odd in places for complete bikes - £4,199 for Ultegra Di2 rises to £5,099 if I went for Force AXS, which seems a surprisingly big increase compared to Mason differentials.

darkstar01uk replied to Zigster | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've owned a Gradient for about a year. Can't recommend it highly enough, it is just good at everything. I got it for winter club runs and light touring, now I'm riding it through the summer in preference to my Domane.

Secret_squirrel replied to Zigster | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've seen the same.

I don't know but I suspect that Force AXS wholesale prices vary a bit and I suspect there are sometimes big discounts on R8070 DI2 Ultegra.  £500 difference seems quite common.  But the rrp difference is closer to £1000.

louismichaels | 3 years ago
1 like

I have owned a Gradient for over 2 years.

It has been a fantastic do-everything bike.

I commute on it daily, and have a have a spare set of carbon hooped wheels for sportives and cycling holidays.

Handles well and is comfortable. (I moved on from a Cannondale Synapse whose 56 was too small and 58 too big!).

Mark Reilly is also an absolutely lovely man and a pleasure to deal with.

Daveyraveygravey | 3 years ago
0 likes

How about Temple, or would it have to be steel? 

https://www.templecycles.co.uk/products/adventure-disc-2?variant=2945447...

Or a Kinesis?

Secret_squirrel replied to Daveyraveygravey | 3 years ago
0 likes

Has to be Ti.  4

Daveyraveygravey replied to Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
1 like

I get that, I really want a Ti bike next.  I'm thinking of a year round commuter that can do some mild off roading.  I want to like the Ribble, I love all that customisation you can do on their site, but the back end just looks...wrong to me.  

benthebikeman | 3 years ago
4 likes

I too was a bit put off the PX Tempest but it I went for it anyway as funds were a bit tight at the time. I have had 2 full audax seasons out of it including Paris Brest Paris and lots of 80s mountainbiking on local trails, the bike is great! The geometry is very similar to the gradient as it was originally designed by Mark Reilly. weld quality is good externally and time will tell whether it lasts. I was able to build it up how I wanted as I could spend a little more on components.  Get one!

Pages

Latest Comments