Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Replacement ideas for a stolen Mason Bokeh

Hi long time lurker.
I recently had my Mason Bokeh stolen from our home last weekend, unfortunately not insured to it's full value.
Tbh I've since adjusted habits and more a runner these days but I do commute 7-10 mile each way depending on route. One route is 95% tarmac, 10% road rest shared paths/NCN the other route is 80% canal towpath, and a couple of fields with stairs for railway bridge crossing & 1 lock to cross, although it could be avoided by going on an A road to the canal. I haven't actually ridden the towpath way only ran it a couple of times.
I now work as a postie so it's not sustainable to run to/from work on top of the 5hr+ walking and training runs etc
I'm having heated debate with Mrs with what/how much to spend to replace the bike.
Do I
go second hand, again what sort of price/spec to go for?
Go similar spec to the Bokeh mainly mechanical ultegra hydraulic disc brakes
Something better possibly electronic groupset maybe even e bike
Franeset only and build own bike up
Or go something cheaper... but I feel must haves are rack and guards mounts and hydraulic disc brakes plus option to take fatter tyres wheels - the Mason was set up with 700*32 but could also be 650b which was the next thing to get, especially if going the canal way and now coming to winter.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

alan sherman | 1 year ago
0 likes

For a daily commute I'd go cheaper. Perhaps a boardman adv 8.9?
Dare I suggest a hybrid? Much cheaper to buy and run.

kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

Trek Domane, just bought an aluminium one. Hugely versatile, some very nice paint jobs. Mudguard and rack mounts, space for 35mm tyres (32 with guards), loads of bottle bosses for stuff. Carbon versions available. 

Some other more Masony options (i.e. niche/boutique)

Pipedream ALICE

Dolan gravel bike (I forget the model number)

Bombtrack Hook or Audax

Spa Elan or Audax

Fairlight Secan or Faran if you can find one

Genesis Equilibrium or Fugio

Most of those have frameset only options. I considered them all but ended up with a cheap secondhand Domane (there are a tonne of 20/21/22 bikes around barely used from lockdown, I guess Trek were better at getting supplies in than most)

AndyH01 replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks, I'll take a look. I have been looking at the Trek checkpoint but not convinced.
I've also been looking at the 3T Explora racemax but doesn't take a rack.
I think I want something lighter weight with aero cred fun and fast that can be ridden both on tarmac and also tow path/trails

Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
0 likes

If you are after a "budget" mason. Try something from Fairlight.

Latest Comments