Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Replacement or alternative?

I am currently running a Shimano Sora 175mm Crank arm set up on my Pinnacle dolomite three. After several people's attempts to remove the stock pedals, it appears to be impossible. As such, my only option is to change the crank arm of the said pedal in order to install my new pedals (and before you say it, we've tried everything in or out the book to remove the pedals)

My secondary problem now appears to be finding the left crank arm for a Shimano sora. It doesn't appear to be stocked anywhere, new or second hand. 

As a newbie to the world of bikes, could I use an alternative Shimano crank arm or would they have to be identical sub-makes? 

Here's the spec for reference: 

Shimano Sora 50-34 170mm chainset, Sora bottom bracket, KMC 9-speed chain, Shimano CS-HG50 12-27 cassette. Shimano Sora shifters & derailleurs. 18-speed, 34-112in. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Welsh boy | 3 years ago
2 likes

Let's start with the obvious, you say that you are to the world of bikes so did you know that the left hand pedal has a left hand thread (ie turn clockwise to remove)?

Artemis_Rach replied to Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

new, but learning quick. Spent a lot of time reading and watching YouTube so I do indeed know that they thread differently. 

Welsh boy replied to Artemis_Rach | 3 years ago
0 likes

Ok, sorry, I didnt mean to offend you

Artemis_Rach replied to Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

No no, I didn't mean to come across so blunt, just heavily frustrated at buying pedals and shoes that I can't use because someone with hulk like strength put the old pedals on! 

Sriracha replied to Artemis_Rach | 3 years ago
0 likes

Maybe they didn't know about the LH thread and jammed it on! I guess you tried leaving a splash of penetrating oil to work its way into the threads overnight?

The other trick that sometimes works is to heat up the crank arm. The idea is to get to work before the pedal axle heats up too, so that the crank expands before the axle catches up. If you are lucky this can also draw in the penetrating oil. Obviously no blow torches, try a hair dryer or hot water. All whilst being double sure you're turning the right way.

And, when you do finally put your pedals on, a dab of grease in the threads.

Artemis_Rach replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
0 likes

That's highly possible. Tried oil overnight but again no luck. Heat is a last resort and I don't want to damage anything by accident.  I might try taking the crank arm off (when my tools arrive) and heating it that way, away from the bike. 

Sriracha replied to Artemis_Rach | 3 years ago
0 likes

Off the bike is definitely to be preferred. You can set the crank horizontal with the pedal facing down and leave a puddle of penetrating oil (there is often a slight depression) over the threads. As to the heat, sure, don't go overboard, you don't want to blister any paint finish on the crank. Anyway, crank arm wrapped in an old innertube and held in a vice (not compressing the knuckle end), a decent length 15mm spanner on the pedal, all the other tricks, if it ain't shifting then you're buying new cranks!

Hirsute | 3 years ago
2 likes

When you say 'several people' , are they all bike shop mechanics?

Artemis_Rach replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

Not bike mechanics, but a mechanic. Last time I went to my local bike shop they charged me £50 to fit two things I gave them so I'm not too keen on having to go again. 

Gus T | 3 years ago
1 like

Have you tried fastening the crankarm in a vice to get extra leverage, alternately you could drill out the pedal and get a helocoil type insert fitted. PM me if you want to discuss in more detail

Artemis_Rach replied to Gus T | 3 years ago
0 likes

Unfortunately I don't have access to a vice and really want to avoid drilling out anything. 

kil0ran | 3 years ago
2 likes

If it's a Hollowtech BB/crankset - which it probably is then any Shimano left-side crank will fit. It might look slightly odd but it will be perfectly functional.

You can tell if it's Hollowtech by whether the inside of the crank arm is flush against the bottom bracket, or whether you can see as square spindle (which means it's a square taper)

The other option is just to replace the whole crankset - Sora or Tiagra aren't that expensive and it's a very easy job.

Latest Comments