Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Replacing/upgrade saddle

Hi! 

Last 5 years I have used a Specialized Avatar 155mm for my bike. But now it's getting worn and it's time to replace it.  

I'm comfortable on the saddle but would like my new saddle to have a larger cut out or being deeper to relive pressure. Padding could be about the same and a bit less.

Saving some weight would be nice too. 

Any sugestions?  

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Strathbean | 3 years ago
0 likes

In my experience, whats comfy for one isn't necessarily comfy for another. Try some out, its the only way to get one that works for you. Many manufacturers will send you out a test saddle (or at least they would pre-covid) and your local bike emporium will usually have a few to try out.

Measure your sit bones, just need a bit of corrugated cardboard. Also find out if you prefer rounded or flatter shape, or somewhere in between. 

Personally I like prologo and currently using a dimension ndr, short, wide with a cut out and just a little bit of padding, it works great for me.

Any saddle is only going to be as comfy as your shorts, make sure they fit right as well.

Greenhorn | 3 years ago
0 likes

Brooks cambium c13 is surprisingly good given the lack of any padding at all. They are pricy but I have tried a few now and find it just works. Difficult to recommend such a personal component but width seems to be a crucial factor.

Spangly Shiny | 3 years ago
0 likes

Specialized Power Expert 155. The expert has a little more padding and is more forgiving than the S-Works. If your old Avatar was a good fit then stick with the same size

james.bowman | 3 years ago
1 like

Fabric saddles are always worth a look. Choose the model, shape, size and rail materials.

fincon1 replied to james.bowman | 3 years ago
0 likes

james.bowman wrote:

Fabric saddles are always worth a look. Choose the model, shape, size and rail materials.

+1 for these. Cheap as chips, and for me at least way more comfortable than the Fizik saddles that came as standard on two of my bikes.

justDave | 3 years ago
1 like

I recently put a Selle Italia SLR Boost Superflow on my road bike, after seeing a review on VeloNews (I think). These saddles come in a confusing array of versions - Boost signifies that it is a short saddle. I have the Endurance version, and it's the best saddle I've tried. Around 220g, but lighter railed versions are available for those with deep pockets.

Latest Comments